My Charvette 270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Charvette 270

So I've been thinking about getting or building a guitar. For building, I was going to go with Warmoth but I don't know how they compare to a Charvel/Jackson since I like the action. If I was to buy one I would want to get a Charvel Model 6 (the one I wanted but couldn't afford back in the 80's...hence the Charvette) or I was thinking on the new Charvel San Dimas Style 2 2H, or Jackson Soloist SL3.

My Charvette (and I know all the jokes about them) is the plywood one....but to me it plays better then most of the guitars I tried, with the exception of a Soloist SL1 which I still can't afford.....So I was thinking on working on it, either freshening it up as stock, or adding things to it like an original floyd and stuff.

It's basically all original except for the demarzio super distortion. Looks great for it's age, no cracks. I've taked out the 5 way switch, unplugged the other 2 single coils because I made an onboard preamp that boosts bass and treble signals so I needed the room in there.

Is all this worth it? I do like playing it and I've got some kind of bond to it....just like the glue they use for plywood . Will it ever be worth something? Most of the world has written this Charvel line off like it didn't exist so they are kind of rare now a days...

patch

I have a couple of questions first. Are you sure it is a 270? I have two of these models and neither are plywood. Here's the catalog scan for the Charvette line: http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=35 The 170 and 270 models were fusion scale with 24 frets and most had the JT6 Trem. Does this match your guitar?

As far as mods go, I personally would not spend a lot of time on a Charvette. To me, putting a real Floyd on a Charvette seems like putting a super charger on a KIA. It can be done, but why? Don't get me wrong, I swapped the humbucker in one of them because I had an extra in the parts bin but I wouldn't drop any real money on mods. Although I like the way my 270s play, any of the guitars you mentioned above (Model 6, SD2 and SL3) the are far and away better instruments and better platforms for modding IMO.

Comment

I originally bought the guitar new (a little over $400)....I've only started reading about these guitars within the last few days and I came across an article joking about them being made of plywood...so I took my volume control cover off the back of the guitar and scraped off the paint on the side and low and behold I saw wood grains vertically and horizontally.

I do wood work all the time...and it looks just like plywood. I can't look at this guitar like I used to anymore....

patch

Comment

BTW...I saw all the vintage pictures and spec's of the 270 and mine looks exactly like it....

Comment

Originally posted by patch View Post
          Is all this worth it? I do like playing it and I've got some kind of bond to it....just like the glue they use for plywood . Will it ever be worth something? Most of the world has written this Charvel line off like it didn't exist so they are kind of rare now a days...

patch
          If you love it then yes, it is worth upgrading.

I originally bought the guitar new (a little over $400)....I've only started reading about these guitars within the last few days and I came across an article joking about them being made of plywood...so I took my volume control cover off the back of the guitar and scraped off the paint on the side and low and behold I saw wood grains vertically and horizontally.

I do wood work all the time...and it looks just like plywood. I can't look at this guitar like I used to anymore....

patch
          Doesn't sound like you love it any more.

Don't get hung up on plywood. If it sounds good it is good.

I have a plywood Series 10 Bass...I don't know how that fits into this picture...

Comment

Looks great for its age,
            Fixed. No apostrophe there

Is all this worth it?
            No. You turd polisher you

Will it ever be worth something? Most of the world has written this Charvel line off like it didn't exist so they are kind of rare now a days...
            Ho, that's funny, don't be starting any rumors there, ya comedian, we better not be seeing that phrase on eBay ads
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Why bother commenting if you don't have anything useful to say....

I'm asking questions for advice. If I wanted to read something funny I'd be at the comedian forums...

Just wasting my time and others who maybe have the same questions.

I know you'll probably reply with something else that you think is funny...again, your just wasting my time.

patch

Comment

Was this directed to me?

Why bother commenting if you don't have anything useful to say....
                Because I can. If you can't take it, why did you bother posting?

I'm asking questions for advice. If I wanted to read something funny I'd be at the comedian forums...
                I believe I did give you some advice. You asked it is worth it. I'm pretty sure I said no

Just wasting my time and others who maybe have the same questions.
                Quit crying, newb. Did you do a search on other Charvette threads?

again, your just wasting my time.
                It's YOU'RE wasting my time. NOW it's time for that apostrophe. See? Good advice concerning apostrophes. Learn it, and you won't sound like an 11 year old. patch.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

Comment

aren't Charvettes the prestige line? Like, how Corvettes are better than Chevelles?

That's why they are worth so much, apart from the exclusivity, rarity & bonded tonewoods
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

A Charvette can be a nice playing guitar because the necks are basically Model Series spec or Fusion spec, but it is NEVER going to be a valued collector guitar because of the plywood factor. If you like the way it plays and sounds being plywood, fine for your personal taste, but Charvette will always mean POS in the greater scheme of things.

Nothing personal against your guitar, but if you are looking for any other answer you are dreaming and asking to be coddled. Not gonna happen here....
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The narrow dot 22 fret Charvette necks are the same as the Charvel Model necks. IME
                          They even have the same Jackson branded tuners.
                          May have been blems or leftover 88 stock?

I have a 150 with a 3 piece Basswood body.
                          May be Charvel blem or 88 leftover?

The wide dot necks aren't the same.
                          Not the same frets, different Charvel branded tuners, and crudely finished.

Either way, none of them will ever be worth much.

If you like the way it plays, keep it as a #2, for practice, or to haul around.
                          Models
                          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                          I dont need furniture.
                          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                          And rock that sucker.

Comment

patch, if you like the guitar keep it and play it, othherwise list it on ebay as rare, so many other assholes do this, you may as well join in

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              aren't Charvettes the prestige line? Like, how Corvettes are better than Chevelles?

That's why they are worth so much, apart from the exclusivity, rarity & bonded tonewoods

yeah man, except Corvettes are way more awesome than Chevelles (at least the ones built between 1953 and 1967) but now after i typed im thinking this wasn't your point

Comment

Working...
                              X