Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bogner XTC, Mesa Boogie MK IV or Splawn Quickrod - Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner XTC, Mesa Boogie MK IV or Splawn Quickrod - Which one?

Hi folks:

Tonight I heard a Bogner XTC for the first time and the tones blew my mind. Guy was playing a Gibson Les Paul goldtop and a Gibson SG and both lead and rythym sounds were great. Then he played an I banez Jem and it sounded good, but not as good as the Gibson guitars (Maybe because the amp sounds better with mahogany guitars?) Anyway, now I'm torn between this amp and a Mesa MK IV or a Splawn Quickrod.

I play 80's metal and shred type music and use a Jackson PC1. Which of the three amps would you buy and why? One last thing, which of the three sound best at low volume levels?

I just finished putting in a couple of hours on my Mark IV and SL2H so you can guess what my vote would be. Actually in fairness I've never tried a Bogner or Splawn (because no one sells them around here damn it ) so I can't give a fair opinion. The Mark IV is good at lower volume levels.

Comment

I have both the Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a QuickRod and the Bogner wins for 80-90s hard rock/metal. Why? that doesnt matter if the Ecstasy's tone "blew your mind" then you answered your own question it sounds great with every guitar I have, mahogany or otherwise. The difference you heard was probably more so in the pickups and the LP being a set neck and a Jem being a bolt on than the amp
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Never owned any of them but the Mark IV is an amp I want to own as soon as I can. This post is not very helpful - sorry

Comment

i owned the xtc and quickrod at the same time and i liked the xtc the best, i had to sell it for other gear i wanted but i still regret it, i played the xtc again last week and it was a fantastic amp. he splawns were really nice too but a different feel than the xtc, the xtc is darker and more saturated than the splawns, the splawn is brighter sounding and the feel is stiffer than the xtc. both have plenty of gain for the types of music mentioned but the xtc has more options and cost alot more.
          i dont have either amp anymore but i will own another xtc someday.
          for soloing i really loved how the xtc sounded and felt, i also have played the mkiv but i never really liked it as much as the splawn or xtc.

Comment

I only have played through the XTC and the Mark IV and I would go with the XTC out of those 2 but it is more expensive so... I would go back for a second sitting with them and make decisions from there.

Comment

I just saw a youtube vid of the new VHT Sig X, sounds pretty awesome, starts about a minute in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMijMa-tbKw

Comment

i have a sig-x on order.

Comment

I'm sure there's more usable gain on tap for modern metal tones. I wasn't that impressed with anything on that clip...

I would need to dial and play 'em meself...

..cool for 80's tones.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Of the choices you presented I would buy the Suhr CAA OD100
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I'll be honest, I want a Splawn Nitro BAD!
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by xDEATHSTARx View Post
                        i have a sig-x on order.
                        Hope you give us a review when you get it.

Comment

I tried an XTC for a couple of hours once and I was able to get some great tones from it. The only problem was that I had to spend a couple of minutes to go from one tone to the next. For example, I got a great BLUE channel tone but if I used the same settings on the RED/GREEN, it sounded terrible. I guess in a studio setting, this would be a great amp, however, I could not probably use this live on stage, so I passed.
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I have a Mesa Mark IV incoming and I can't wait to get it. I know for lower volumes that the Mark IV is very versatile (being able to run it at lower wattage with the flip of a switch. Not sure about the Bogner. I know someone who runs a MXR Phaser before the Mark IV, then a slight delay in the loop and gets killer Lynch-esque tones. My .02.

Comment

Here's a link of Scott demoing some amps. Might help you http://video.google.com/googleplayer...35533212&hl=en

Comment

Working...
                              X