• NATO Mahogany

What is NATO Mahogany?

Cheap? Crap?
    Good / bad tonewood?
    What does NATO stand for?
    Origin?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

"Nato is a South American hard wood, similar to mahogany. It's the current "budget" wood. That doesn't mean that it is a bad or cheap wood. At one time, mahogany was considered the cheap alternative, and nobody knew how well it would do in the long run. Now mahogony is considered a 'fine' wood. Could Nato be the next mahogany? Only time will tell.
    The Nato tree is usually 100 to 120 ft high and 2 to 3 ft in diameter, with clear boles 60 ft and more above very large buttresses that may extend 15 ft up the trunk. Nato trees of 160 to 200 ft high and 4 ft in diameter are reported.
    The Wood's General Characteristics: Heartwood yellowish red brown, reddish brown or dark red with paler streaks, sapwood 2 to 6 in. wide, distinct, yellowish to pale brown. Texture moderately fine to rather coarse, rather harsh to the feel; luster medium to high; grain is straight to commonly interlocked, very variable; astringent taste and slightly sour odor.
    Weight: Basic specific gravity (oven-dry weight/green volume) 0.76 to 0.84; air-dry density 59 to 65 pcf.
    Other Common Names: Nato, Nato rojo (Colombia), Mora de Guyana (Venezuela), Marobukea, Mora (Guyana), Mora Moraboekea (Surinam), Pracuuba (Brazil).
    Distribution: M. excelsa: Widely distributed in the Guianas and less so in the Orinoco Delta of Venezuela; dominant on river levees and flood plains forming dense stands. M. gonggrijpii: Restricted to Guyana and Surinam, a dominant species best adapted to hillsides on heavy clay soils."

"Nato wood, also known as Eastern Mahogany, is a relieble, strong wood used on guitar necks. It is a value-priced wood used more in the lower cost instruments. However, Nato still embodies all of the properties of more commonly used.... and more expensive mahogany. Not a bad wood at all for most ukes.... except the finest ones."
    Last edited by anuske9; 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM.
    -Adam

Comment

Isn't that the cheap wood that BC Rich was using. Maybe I'm thinking of agathis. They use NATO wood on acoustic guitars.
      I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think it is an acronym, btw.

edit: nato, when referring to the tonewood, is not an acronym.
        Last edited by anuske9; 02-03-2008, 06:58 PM.
        -Adam

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO
          Hail yesterday

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_%28plant%29

^ nato tree
            -Adam

Comment

anuske... guys, thanks for the links and text. I'll go read.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

anytime, Henrik. Just glad I could help out
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X