X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String-through vs. Stop-tail - Let's Discuss

Which do you prefer? And why?

Re: String-through vs. Stop-tail - Let\'s Discuss

String through on a Jackson and a Hahdtail on a charvie...

Just because!
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

String through...

It just looks better to me.

-Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Didn't we discuss this a few months ago? I typed up a big memo on why STOPTAIL IS BETTER.

1. You can use different types of (internal) metal for the stoptail that impact the tone (Aluminum, Zinc, etc).
        2. You can adjust the string tension by adjusting the height of the stoptail in relation to the bridge.
        3. Tailpiece stud material impacts the tone as well.

For a Les Paul, the current hot setup is Pigtail(tm) Aluminum stoptail and steel studs and bushings.

Of course, if tone doesn't matter...

Personally, I love the way string thru looks on an RR1, but I'd want a stop tail on a soloist, esp. if it's an archtop.

Comment

I don't think the meterial the posts are made of is going to effect your tone on any noticable plane.

By the same token, couldn't the composition of the string ferruls on a string-through model effect the tone in the same way??

Some would argue that string through is better because it promotes better string to body resonance.

Comment

I think its mostly up to the piece of wood.Different bridges transfer the sounds in different ways.IMO 90% of the tone is in the wood.Solid mounting and a tight neck pocket helps to promote vibrartion to the body.Its a magical thing.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have an Ibanez with a brass stop-tail. I will try and find a brass nut to compliment it. I think brass is good.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

stop-tail because it is more comfortable and looks cooler, string-thru is yugly IMO.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Stop tails are easier to restring when you are a little buzzed
                  I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I like both, but I seem to prefer string-thru.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I don't think the meterial the posts are made of is going to effect your tone on any noticable plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put your flame proof suit on and go mention that on the LesPaulForum. If that's the case, would you not agree that the material the tailpiece is made out of makes no difference as well? Does it make a difference if the sustain block in an OFR is made of pot metal or brass?

Gibson puts the brass/zinc tailpiece on production models, but for historics they get a lightweight aluminum tailpiese. Why?

Pigtail music gets floods of orders from people ordering hardened steel studs to replace the Gibson brass studs. Why?

Aren't Duncan Designed pickups just as good as the real thing? I think so. Maybe some day people will say the Duncan Designed pickups are the holy grail. Weren't people yanking out PAF's and putting Super Distortions in there 1950's Les Pauls or later SG's?

There are a lot of things that people think wouldn't have an impact on the tone of a guitar, but when it comes down to it, maybe the little things do add up.

Just some food for thought.

Comment

String through, for the way it looks on a Jackson.

About the tone I experienced many different set up, and for me it doesn't make any real difference, so at the end it's just an estethic issue...I will never like a string through Les Paul, for instance...
                        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                        '92 Fender Strat scallop
                        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

String-through on a Rhoads, KV, or Warrior ONLY if it has a plate. Otherwise, and on anything else, it looks like the guitar is trying to look like a violin, which cannot be done (no, even a violin-shaped guitar will not look like a violin - it'll look like a violin shaped guitar).

A guitar should look like a guitar, even if it is shaped like a violin, a couch, a Buick, or a machine gun.

As for transferring string vibration - ideally the string should not vibrate beyond the nut or the bridge. If it does, you're losing the more important string vibration between the nut and bridge.

A nice compromise would be "string-in", where the guitar has a shaped stopbar (like a Rhoads v-plate) and ball pockets underneath the holes, and small cutouts in the body so you can slip the ball end into the pocket of the stopbar/string plate.
                          You get easier stringing and the same cosmetics, and a better tailpiece than stringthrough.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            A nice compromise would be "string-in", where the guitar has a shaped stopbar (like a Rhoads v-plate) and ball pockets underneath the holes, and small cutouts in the body so you can slip the ball end into the pocket of the stopbar/string plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean Hardtail.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              As for transferring string vibration - ideally the string should not vibrate beyond the nut or the bridge. If it does, you're losing the more important string vibration between the nut and bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but as for what sounds best...

Comment

Working...
                              X