Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To PLEK or not to PLEK..... I have the answer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To PLEK or not to PLEK..... I have the answer....

Well, after some emailing and whatnot......I contacted Dan Erlewines shop and was going to have a guitar PLEK'd. It appears that that they have/are moving from PLEKing a neck and going back to Dan's way as most customers are requesting it. Evidently, Dan and his guys are doing something by hand the CNC just isn't doing. -Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

What does plek mean?
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

I will be. A lot of builders use them. Anderson, Suhr, Collings come to mind.

http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

So does Gibson and many others..... I am just wondering why Dan and his boys are leaving them. They already have the machine and it is theirs.......so its not a financial issue.....especially when you plug it and let the machine do all the work. Why are their customers prefering a hand setup?-Lou
        Last edited by LouSiffer; 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM.
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I have a guitar that's PLEK'd and it's no better than any that I've done myself by hand. Now, if you are a builder and need to do this fast and accurate, well then it's a great machine - nothing like CNC.

Comment

Doing some more investigative research with Dan and Elliot.......will let you know the results here soon hopefully.-Lou

Comment

I think its the overall look of a plek'd fret job.Well with Gibson anyway frets look uneven and people aren't used to that.
              I have had one neck done and it was pretty much perfect.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Gibson doesn't send complete guitars to be PLEK'ed; they totally misuse it. Like anything else, it's a tool and is as good as the person using it.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Will this work on a guitar with a floating bridge and locking nuts? It says the nut and frets would be cut...
                  Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                  Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                    Will this work on a guitar with a floating bridge and locking nuts? It says the nut and frets would be cut...
                    Yes, mine is a floyded guitar...

Comment

I think most of Dan's customers are from the "vintage crowd", and you know how they can be. I'd prefer a PLEK job myself.

Comment

Got a message from Elliot.......was told to call and get the info over the phone. Will let you guys know what I find out Monday.-Lou

Comment

Thanks Lou.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've had all my guitars Plek'd. There's no way a human, even Dan E., can do it better.
                            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Well, I found someone else in my area that does PLEKing. I have info into them as well. Basically, I want to compare Dan's ideas to the other person's and see what the differences are. I would love for the guy to say Dan is as good or better than a machine. The reason being is that it will save me money. I got the action very low, but, starting to get some buzzing in a couple spots......and yeah, I can fix it myself......but, I was willing to drop a couple hundred for a PLEK job if they were the God send that everyone swears they are. Will let you guys know what I find out hopefully tomorrow.-Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X