Soldano X99, Sp77, X88..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano X99, Sp77, X88..........

Anyone ever use these? How do they compare with the Hot Rod 50? I asked this on another forum, and they said I should get a Line 6 Pod or a Krank, because they ownz. I hope I dont hear that kind of crap over here..............

Re: Soldano X99, Sp77, X88..........

I had an SP77, it sounded fine through a good power amp. Much better than the Mesa preamps I had (Quad and Studio). I preferred the tones I had with my HR50+, but I put a depth mod on mine and personally, I like the way a head responds versus rackmount preamps and poweramps. All a matter of taste. I'd say do the SP77 though, because if you're going to spend the coin for an X99 or X88 you might as well just buy the HotRod 50 or + if that's your comparison tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I agree with Pete. I used an SP-77 for several years and would highly recommend it. It will get you the base Soldano sound on a budget and has the added advantage of separate EQs on the two channels. Run it through a nice tube power amp and have a nice base rack system. The SP-77 is virtually the same lead channel as the Hot Rods and same circuit (different component quality)as the SLO. The clean is a bit different, but same ballpark.

The other Soldano preamps are undoubtably nice and offer some features the SP-77 doesn't. Plus, they're built to a higher level (more like the SLO, where the SP-77 is more like the Hot Rods). However, they're so expensive, even used, that you might as well buy an actual SLO head as get either of them.

Comment

Hi Ross! How ya doing?

I agree fully with Pete & Ross. The SP-77 is a great preamp for the price. Not the most versatile, but what they do, they do well. Pretty organic and "tubey". It's a great hard rock/80's metal preamp, but if you're looking for more modern sounds, you may want to check elsewhere. Line 6 is not a bad choice either however if you're looking for more versatility, as well as some heavier amp models...

Comment

Hey Chris. Things are going fine here. We'll have to get together sometime again this summer or fall.

Comment

i want to try the x88r - its my favorite line 6 model!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have an X88r and a SP77 (and a SLO). Actually, the SP77 sounds pretty close to the X88r, maybe a little more fuzzy gain sound. The SP77 delivers a lot of bang for the buck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                i want to try the x88r - its my favorite line 6 model!

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite too!

Comment

The SP77 I had honestly was very impressive. Bang for the buck it was tops
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

If you have a good tube power amp then you are half way there. You can find the SP-77 on ebay for around $400 in good shape. I had one and I sold it. I used it with a Carvin Tube 100 power amp and it had enough gain for me. THe seperate eq was nice but I am really a one channel amp guy. I like to roll the volume back for clean stuff or use a volume pedal. Anyway. The SP-77. I sold it and went on to a Mesa and than eventually got the SLO. The SLO is the tone in my mind. It was the tone I always heard but never could dial in with any other amp. I think the Hotrod will kick your ass too and I like it very much. It gets very close to the SLO but the SLO is a better clarity and the mids really sing. The Hotrod comes very close and if you did not have an SLO for a while you probably would not really here the difference. Also, The SLO needs to be really pushed. THe Hotrod sounds great at lower volumes ( I actually prefer the Hotrod at a lower volume over the SLO)as well as pushed. It just doesn't have as much cut as the SLO. The answer is exactly what Pete kind of said. It is the power section that is important too. If you don't already have a good power amp than get the Hotrod. If you are a one channel amp guy like me look for the Hotrod 50 (They are rare) single channel.

Comment

Chris, can you post some close up pics of your SLO?
                      I've been GASing to get a SLO or Bogner.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X