Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Centurion Mark III head worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Centurion Mark III head worth buying?

Trolling the pawn shops I found a Peavey Centurion Mark III head Made in USA 1978 amp. I'm thinking of buying it if it works because I want a louder/better amp (I only have a Marshall MG30DFX).

It's only 200 + tax Canadian. Think this is a good deal to move onto with or would I be better off waiting a bit and buying something better?

Re: Peavey Centurion Mark III head worth buying?

I'd wait. Played through one of those heads and didn't like it at all.

Comment

That's one of the crappier sounding solid state Peavey amps. If you come upon a VTM head or even a Butcher for $200 or so, that's a much better amp for the money, though they are single-channel amps. They are tube amps and sound somewhat like a JCM800, and go pretty cheap. The Peavey Triumphs are decent 3-channel tube amps too, forerunners of the Ultras but with shared EQ.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I had that old Peavey head years ago. I was a step up for a live rig from my Peavey Studio Chorus 210 but not a great head. I ran the Digitech programmable distortion (the one with 2 stomp pads and an internal dip switch) through it. Then I got the Metal Zone. It was good for my poor college student days but I didn't cry when I got rid of it. I would pass on it.

Comment

Hmmm...
          Poor College/high school student= consider it, use effect setup if you do get it
          else= pass

Comment

Well I'm somewhat in the poor college student category but I'll think I'll have to pass after hearing all this and wait for something better when I have more money. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I have a Centurion Mk III in my baseme...er, music room. I've had it for, oh, 13 years...bought it for $150 including a custom cabinet (on casters, with nickel plated marine handles...go figure) with a 15" EV.

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but I'll tell you what...it's loud as hell. With a 20' cord and a strat-o-copy, I can't get far enough away to turn it up past about 4.

Like the other say, nothing special, but it's workable for volume. Guy I bought it from gigged with it (playing bass) for years before I got it.

Comment

Working...
              X