Roland VG-8 virtual guitar system!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland VG-8 virtual guitar system!!

I just got one from a fellow JCF'r and it is awesome. I have always wanted one but never was willing so part with the huge bucks for a new one. It has hundreds of presets. Everything from full Marshall stacks to boutique combos. Every guitar ever imagined can be created. Dual amp models like the Vetta can also be dialed up. Tracking is flawless since it is COSM technology it has no lag at all. You can rip 18 note per second leads and it doesn't miss a note. Bass guitars, synths, strings, 12 strings, acoustics, mandilins, banjos, etc... You can blend your guitar signal with the VG-8 and route it to any amp combo you want. You can even choose mic placement, speaker combinations. One section allows you to build a guitar from scratch. You can choose body type, pickups and pickup placement. I built a Strat bodied guitar with 2 bridge humbuckers and a single coil pickup at the 22nd fret. How about a Les Paul with 4 humbuckers!! It also has player presets for players such as Satch, Vai, Lukather, SRV, Hendrix, Page, EVH etc... Even song patches are in there. For instance I can dial up the EVH 1 and 2 tone. It is dead on. Zep 1 is in there, Early Alex Lifeson from 2112 and even his later tone from Permanent Waves. The Police, BB King, Clapton both solo and with Cream, The Beatles, Sabbath, Kansas, Boston, The Stones, etc.. are all in there with there one patches. Open tunings? There are tons of them. Every Keith Richards tuning is in there, Page's open tunings, Nashville tuning, EVERYTHING!!! Just step on the preset button and your guitar instantly goes to any tuning you want. It even has automatic tuning which will never allow your guitar to go out of tune. That feature is incredible. Anyway, it is a incredible piece of technology. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Roland VG-8 virtual guitar system!!

I've come close to buying that thing so many times over the last 5 years or so. I spent probably 3 hours playing one at a local shop a few years back, and loved it. congrats
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

I got one this past saturday, and I havent played anything else. I just love the Bazouka.......

Comment

Same with me. I have wanted this thing since it first came out and I have demo'd it many times at the store but it is a serious chunk of change. I actually was shopping for a Variax when this came up. I have a Roland PMA-5 digital recorder/sequencer and I can record my guitar tracks directly into it with the VG-8. The PMA-5 looks like a Palm Pilot and it is pretty crazy to be able to use it as a digital recorder for my guitar. I dump all of that into a MRS4 digital recorder in stereo and that is pretty much my entire recording system. The PMA-5 handles the drums and the arrangements along with any keyboard or bass tracks if I choose not to use the VG-8 which has excellent keyboard and bass patches that I can play on my guitar. I then have 2 additional tracks for vocals and the ability to do endless bouncing with no generation loss because of the totally digital environment. Pretty cool stuff for sure...

Comment

I used a patch last night that consisted of:
          6 string piezo equipt guitar on strings 1 and 2
          12 string guitar on strings 3 and 4
          Mandolin on strings 5 and 6
          I blended this with my Wolfgangs normal output and it sounded like there was 4 guys playing at once.
          I also tried a harmonica patch and sent its signal to the PA while sending the straight guitar signal to the guitar amp. I was playing "The River" by Springsteen. You would swear that there was a harmonica player playing along with me. It blew me away!! Then there are the Lukather patches...... awesome...

Comment

I dont have any Luke patches...... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
            Guess I'll have to get a memory card and download some patches.........

Comment

Don't forget to send me some clips! I told you you would like it.

Comment

there is a vg-88 sitting in a local store, very very tempting to buy

pity i cant get enough cash though

David

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                  Don't forget to send me some clips! I told you you would like it.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is unbelievable. I actually had to take a day off from work because I couldn't stop playing it. I am now in the market for a Roland ready guitar like maybe a strat or a Godin or a Brian Moore.

Comment

I considered the one that was up in the classified ..what was it.. ahh, May?
                    I like you have demo'd it in the store..and it is amazing all the sounds you can get...just could not justify the price of the thing when it came out.

Now tho,it's getting in the ballpark of affordability.
                    Does this interact with a 13 pin GK-1? I have two synth axes.. the G-707 and the Ibanez 2010 X-ing.

Lastly..thanks for posting the reviews.. I will have to save the pennies.

Comment

The expansion card is fusion/rock/metal and it has almost every great player in it. The cool thing is that many of the patches are arranged by either the album title, song title or artist's name.

Comment

Yes it does interact with the 13 pin. The VG-8 that you mentioned is the one that I got. I just picked it up from BigDaddy and it is everything he claimed it to be. It has the s-1 upgrade and 1 expansion card with the expression pedal. They are certainly affordable now if you shop around. I haven't used my modeling amp or my half stack in over a week!! The main inspiration for me to take up guitar was the solo in the Chicago song
                        25 or 6 to 4. The VG-8 has a patch called 25or6to4. It nails the lead tone EXACTLY. That was a pleasant surprise. I was messing around with pitch shifting last night. I had the 1st 4 strings tuned to Eb scale and I had the b and e strings tuned 1 octave higher and the amp model I was using was called Marshall x3 which is basically 3 Marshall 59' Plexi's slaved together. I also programmed in a strat body with the fat strat pickup combo.It is a killer combo.

Comment

I'm not sure if it will interact with the XING and 707. I had both of those awhile back, and I remember that both of them use a cable with a large block end, whereas the the input to the VG8 has a small round input, about twice the size of a MIDI cable............

Comment

As long as your synth has a 13 pin round connector it should be compatible. Tomorrow I am going to try it pumped through a Peavey sixty/sixty power amp in true stereo routed through 2 cabinets and cranked up.

Comment

In order to use the older MIDI guitars you need a BC-13 Bus Converter..........I have never seen one, and I dont even think they are made anymore........

Comment

Working...
                              X