Best pickup for maple body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pickup for maple body?

Thinking about getting a guitar with maple body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, Floyd - thus, I anticipate bright tonality. The sound I want is Fair Warning-era EVH to Zakk. Any pickup recommendations?

I'm thinking maybe a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, a DiMarzio Tone Zone or an EMG 85, all of which have somewhat rolled-off highs, I believe.

Re: Best pickup for maple body?

I would go with the Tone Zone, Super Distortion, or a Breed, they all have lots of bass and mids and low highs.

Comment

<font color="yellow">I really like the Duncan Custom and 59' myself.

I also like the Duncan Hot Rails and Cool Rails if you want to add a neck single.

I'm not too much of a fan of EMG's in anything other than my Les Paul Custom though, but that's just me and by no means saying it won't work for you or the sound you're looking for, so who knows. Only your ears will tell you what's right for you.

Experiment, pickups are relatively inexpensive and you can usually flip them for at/near what you paid for them if you don't like the tonality you get from them. </font>

Comment

I have a 84 Beretta that is maple and put the EMG 85 in it about 2 weeks ago and was really impressed with the outcome.The mids and lows stand out and the harder you push it ,the sweeter and crunchier it gets.Combined with the brightness of the maple body,I really liked it for a single hum guitar. My 2 ............Rev.Timmy
        Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

I've had good results with the Screamin' Deamon and hot rails in a maple body,nice thunk!

Comment

Tone Zone or Super distortion.....unless you can find a Super 3

Comment

Duncan Invader.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

APC
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ive got a couple of full maple guitars, the X2N sounds pretty killer in maple. the super 2 or super distortion is also really good, but i think the X2N Kick major ass in maple. also the screamin demon if you dont mind med output as opposed to high ouput.

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone. I previously had a Kramer with a Custom Custom direct-mounted to its maple body, and I loved its sound, but I'd kinda like to try something different this time. Reading DiMarzio's tone description for the Tone Zone makes it sound like it might be just the ticket. I hadn't considered the Super Distortion. That might be cool, too. The X2N could be cool, but I'm plugging into a Pod XT Live, and the manual says to switch the input to lower sensitivity for high-powered pickups, which would be self-defeating.

Comment

I had an old Kramer Pacer that was maple with a Floyd. The guitar had a JB in it. That was one of the best sounding guitars ever.

Comment

I've got a maple 83 San Dimas mutt with an EMG-58 (not a typo an EMG-58) in it. It's my sweetest sounding guitar.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the EMG-85. I have one in another guitar of mine and it sounds great. The 81s are nice too.

Comment

ive got 81's in maple &amp; its very very bright, &amp; has no bottom to it. cool for shredding &amp; harmonics but no chunky thump.

Comment

duncan trembucker, the saraceno model or the dist.

Comment

Working...
                            X