EMG wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring problem

Ok, I am trying to put an '81 in my KV3, but it only works if the cord is half way in the jack.

I have 2 other guitars that I have wired myself and they both work flawlessly.

I double checked the wiring and all connections, and everything is wired correct.

It's wired as a 1 volume/ 1Hum only, seems simple enough right? Well I got on EMG's FAQ section and someone else had the same problem.
    EMG said that it seems to be wired correctly, but the quik connect plug is probably on upside down.

I checked this, and I even flipped it upside down, and it doesn't work at all that way.

My quik connect plug has an arrow on it and it's supposed to be facing upward, which it is.

Yes, I am using a stereo jack and a new 9v. The wiring is nice and the pickup appears brand new looking..

I'm stumped, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks so much
    Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

No one at all? Anyone atleast have an idea? I still did not hear back from EMG tech concerning this, and I'm still trying to figure it out.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven

Comment

If

If the guitar only works when the chord is plugged in 1/2 way, you have 2 wires reversed on the input jack. On the 3 lugs on your output jack, switch the 2 for the hot and output from your volume/tone.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
        If the guitar only works when the chord is plugged in 1/2 way, you have 2 wires reversed on the input jack. On the 3 lugs on your output jack, switch the 2 for the hot and output from your volume/tone.

Now THAT is service

Comment

That definitely makes sense to me. I will do that right now and let you guys know.
          Thanks alot for the advise!!
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

I tried reversing every wire, in every configuration possible that goes to the jack. I still have nothing except for when the cable is 1/2 way in.

However, if I touch the ground wire to the jack w/ my one hand and touch the volume knob with the other it works with the cord in the whole way, but I have no volume control, it is wide open.

I just rewired the whole thing again according to EMG's diagram, checked my solder joints again, etc...

I don't know whats up with this, I'm getting even more pissed off now.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

Let me see if I understand this...

When you're touching the volume knob with one hand, and touching the ground wire with the other, it works?

If everything works properly when the cable is halfway in, then the output jack switch is reversed, since it's supposed to turn off when the cable is halfway in. If you're 200% positive that your wiring is right, then it's time to try a different output jack.
              Scott

Comment

You didn't need to reverse every wire, just the two Output wires.

Put the Ground wire for the jack where it's supposed to go, and wire up the other two so that you only get sound when the cable is halfway in.

Now unplug it and reverse ONLY the battery and signal wires, leaving the ground wire alone.

Are you using a stereo cable?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

NewC,
                  Yes I did initially just reverse the 2 wires you said. That didn't work, so I tried every config. possible with the 3 wires going to the jack, and got the results that I stated.

I was talking to my buddy about this, and he said that it might be the jack itself.

(I do have a stereo jack in it already)

Thanks brothers, much appreciated....now back to surgery...
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

Are you using a stereo cable or a mono cable?

If you are using a Stereo cable, such as for a POD XT Live, then the ring of the cable, which should be carrying sound like the sleeve, is touching the Battery prong.

You will have to use a mono cable so the only thing touching both the battery and the ouput prongs is the sleeve, and the tip is touching the ground prong.

The only way I can see the jack being the culprit is if there's a wafer missing between the Output and Battery prongs/rings.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yes I am using a mono cable, like I said I have 2 other King V's that i wired EMG's into myself, so this is why I am stumped cause I have never ran into this prob before.
                      I tried to use the wiring that I did on the other 2 as reference, along with EMG's schematic, and with you guy's help I am coming up short.

But the wafers in the jack make sense, is it possible that they got too hot from soldering and melted or burned away so that the metal pieces are touching?

That's what I'm thinking now. My jack was brand new though, but I think that it got too hot cause the wafers are discolored.
                      I'm going for a new jack tomorrow and try that.
                      It has to be something stupid like that, cause the obvious is out of question now.

Thanks again guys!
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

Like Spivonious and NewC said, it was indeed the output jack. It was a generic ''made in china' stereo jack, and when I was soldering, it must have gotten hot and melted the wafers, therefore allowing the metal to come in contact w/ each other.

Bought a Switchcraft this morning and problem solved. It wasn't the wiring after all. And you know this one really had me stumped. Never would have thought this. I'll def. keep this in mind, well actually, no i won't cause from now on i won't be using junk parts

Thanks for the help guys it really means alot!!!
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Glad it worked out. I doubt the wafer got hot enough to melt through, it was probably assembled incorrectly (wafer/sleeve/ring/wafer/tip instead of sleeve/wafer/ring/wafer/tip).

Comment

Working...
                          X