Dinky Vs Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinky Vs Soloist

Is it called Dinky because of the smaller body it has? and does it mean that a Soloist Model has a different body from a DK2? Also, im wondering, are there noticeable differences on the neck of a soloist compared to the necks of other Jackson Strats? (dkmg/dk2/dx10) such as, more C shaped, more flat , or what? thanks guys, i just really wanna know what makes the soloist different aside from being neck thru

The only difference is that soloist is a neck thru guitar while dinky has a bolt-on neck. Both have standard Jackson's neck type.
    '94 KV PCS
    '99 KV-2 Camo
    '01 KV-2 Black Ghost Flames
    '93 Grover Jackson Kelly Custom

Comment

There are differences in the neck sizes between models but it has nothing to do with dinky vs soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        There are differences in the neck sizes between models but it has nothing to do with dinky vs soloist.
        hey rich, do you particularly know these differences or is there a thread dedicated to it? all i know is that the KV2 has the medium fret speed neck but i dont know about the others..

Comment

hey rich, do you particularly know these differences or is there a thread dedicated to it? all i know is that the KV2 has the medium fret speed neck but i dont know about the others..
          If you look up each model on their website it lists all the neck dimensions at the 1st and 12th.

Comment

Here is some info on the Dinky.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Dinky Now I own both a SL1 and a DKMG and the Soloist neck feels more comfortable in my hand then does the DKMG. Both guitars are good but the Soloist stands out as the better guitar overall in ease of playing and comfort and sound quality and craftsmanship; but thats just my opinion. Now the necks just feel different in terms of size the Soloist just plain feels feels a bit smaller. Now this is just my opinion so take it w/a grain of salt

Comment

I see

I agree with the above. I've ownd about 15 different Jackson from across all the years..save for a SD Jackson...and all the necks feel a little different honestly. I wouldn't say any of them felt bad...just different.

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
                Here is some info on the Dinky.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Dinky Now I own both a SL1 and a DKMG and the Soloist neck feels more comfortable in my hand then does the DKMG. Both guitars are good but the Soloist stands out as the better guitar overall in ease of playing and comfort and sound quality and craftsmanship; but thats just my opinion. Now the necks just feel different in terms of size the Soloist just plain feels feels a bit smaller. Now this is just my opinion so take it w/a grain of salt
                All USA made Jackson have necks, that feel more comfortable than imprort's ones.

By the way, there are two neck types available for USA Jacksons : standard (soloist, dinky, kelly, rr) and speed (king v and warrior). I had both DK-1 and SL-1. I think that the difference in feeling is connected with the neck finish. Soloist has painted neck while DK-1 is naked
                '94 KV PCS
                '99 KV-2 Camo
                '01 KV-2 Black Ghost Flames
                '93 Grover Jackson Kelly Custom

Comment

My PC1 is technically a Dinky, but since it's built to Phil Collen's specs I dont think it's typical. The neck on the PC1 is a bit chunkier then a production dinky or SL1. I prefer larger necks in my old age. I also prefer unpainted necks with big frets. The PC1 is just about perfect!!!
                  ---RCM78
                  >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

Originally posted by dr.distortion View Post
                    I think that the difference in feeling is connected with the neck finish. Soloist has painted neck while DK-1 is naked
                    This is the big difference for me. I prefer the unfinished necks of the dinkys over the painted necks on the soloists.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman View Post
                      This is the big difference for me. I prefer the unfinished necks of the dinkys over the painted necks on the soloists.
                      If it's a USA Dinky (DK1), then the neck will be oiled. If it's an import, it has a matte satin finish on it. Over time, the matte satin will get more glossy with use.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Correct, I simply meant it isn't painted. The painted necks aren't as smooth to me. My hand "sticks" on the painted necks vs. the necks on the dinky's. I have both imports and USAs. But thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.distortion View Post
                          All USA made Jackson have necks, that feel more comfortable than imprort's ones.

By the way, there are two neck types available for USA Jacksons : standard (soloist, dinky, kelly, rr) and speed (king v and warrior). I had both DK-1 and SL-1. I think that the difference in feeling is connected with the neck finish. Soloist has painted neck while DK-1 is naked

Bud I think you're way off base here.. I owned a really early dinky reverse which had a neck that was very thin, felt almost too thin. I have an '84 soloist which has a bare neck (like the dinky I'm talking about) and they felt as if the only thing they had in common was being made from wood.

Now I understand this specific Dinky's neck could have been one-off/custom but this I highly doubt. It was a 24 fret bolt-on and I recall it feeling shorter than the soloists neck - cramped feeling.

I too have a few soloist's from the early era (low serial numbers) and their necks all feel (size wise) very close, however, the bare neck soloist has its unique feel above the rest but in terms of dimensions it is the same.

Maybe this is just a case were I've only had the elderly guitars, so I couldn't speak on anything newer than '90s... maybe the newer Dinky's neck profile is similar to the soloists nowadays?

When I sold that Dinky, I recall feeling as if I'd never buy another one, it felt really cheap to me. Hope thats not offensive to those who do like 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman View Post
                            +1

Comment

HWND you hit the nail right on the head about the Dinky's neck having that cramped feeling. I have owned a few old Charvels w/the naked neck and they were just as comfy to play as the painted neck of my Soloist; so I am not to sure that the finish has anything to do w/it.
                              Last edited by fordsho90; 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X