Neck swapping ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck swapping ?

As per my other thread I have a JS30WR and am planning to put a DXMGT neck on it. Some other threads suggested there may be issues with the angle in the neck pocket. I am planning to have it professionally installed by a luthier. Can't they route or shave the neck pocket for optimal angle?

If you give it to a pro there shouldn´t be any issues

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

...aaaand you don't need to start new threads...
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Dx neck 24 frets, js necks 22 frets?
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

JS30WR has 24 frets. not 22.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Why pay some guy to do it? Try fitting it yourself. IF you can't do it, THEN pay some guy.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The days of hand-fitting necks are (pretty much) over with CNC. Custom Shop Charvels and such will still have a little bit of variation to them because they're inferior hand-made items produced by stodgy old craftsmen that won't admit they can't compete with the kind of quality that semi-skilled labor and a CNC machine can dish out.

Seriously you can probably just bolt it right on there.

So long as you're replacing a 24-fret neck with a 24-fret neck, there's a good chance you can just bolt it on and go (the intonation might even be very close) on a production-line guitar.

Bolt it on yourself if you can, and save the money for a good setup!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  ...aaaand you don't need to start new threads...
                  Actually I do cuz when the thread gets lost in the shuffle no one reads and/or answers it!

Comment

Then you bump it. Starting new threads on same subject is a no no.

Comment

Are you "Skooling" peepol again? (Memo to self: Use Search Function )
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        Seriously you can probably just bolt it right on there.

So long as you're replacing a 24-fret neck with a 24-fret neck, there's a good chance you can just bolt it on and go (the intonation might even be very close) on a production-line guitar.

Bolt it on yourself if you can, and save the money for a good setup!

Actually, it depends on the neck.

Jackson doesn't use a standard neck heel/pocket anymore. Years ago you could put anything on anything, but in the last 5 or so years, I've noticed a drastic change in neck heel widths and pocket dimensions.

Take the KVX10 BGF that I put a DKMGT neck on (3x3, rosewood, fins): the DX neck heel was noticeably wider and thicker - so much that I thought I was going to bust the sides of the pocket, and had my doubts that the heel was fully seated even though it bolted down.

The KV neck went on the DX body, and there was a very noticeable gap on either side - we're talking Dunlop Jazz III thick.

As well, the DX neck heel was cut at such an angle as to require the pickups and bridge to be raised very high.

However, the DX with the KV neck came out as a phenomenal shredder with smooth, low action comparable to a USA Jackson. I shit you not.

As for the JS30WR, I also put an identical DXMG neck on one of those once, and found the same thing - the angle was a bit steep. Couldn't put it in a case without stressing the headstock and/or neck joint.

However, it did improve the action.

Oh, and can we please stop referring to anyone with a better set of tools than you and who works at the local guitar center as a "luthier". It's an insult to luthiers.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                          If you give it to a pro there shouldn´t be any issues
                          hahahhaha you'd be surprised.. I have some horror stories

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Oh, and can we please stop referring to anyone with a better set of tools than you and who works at the local guitar center as a "luthier". It's an insult to luthiers.
                            Now I'm curious: do you consider yourself a luthier, Newc?

Comment

Only because I have a better set of tools and DON'T work at GC

Actually, no. I'm still a Mad Scientist
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X