Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose #1 Saddle?

Hi everyone,
    I am fixing to replace the saddle on the 1st string of my Carvin. I am having a problem with repeatedly breaking strings and I am hoping this will help.

My question is this, I bought a saddle on eBay that was termed as a "#1" saddle and in fact has a "1" stamped into the back. All the eBay auctions I saw indicated that this was the correct saddle to use for both "E" strings (1st and 6th).

However, I have seen some information since then that indicates a #2 saddle is what I should really have. The eBay sellers seemed to be dealers who sold a lot of parts and (I would have assumed) knew their stuff but one of the sources which confirmed #2 was the Floyd Rose site so I find it hard to discount that.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

The E saddles are #2. No ifs ands or butts. Never trust anyone who's selling you something.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Well, that sucks. It made sense to me too thinking that #1 would be the lowest and that the two outermost strings would have the lowest saddles. I guess the project will have to wait until next weekend but at least I'll have an extra saddle for my parts drawer!
      Thanks for the info!

Comment

Looking at it again, it looks like Floyd Rose lists their saddles in terms of 0,1,2 with 0 being the highest for the middle strings. All the eBay sellers list them in terms of 1,2,3 with 3 being the highest. Maybe it's just a difference in terminology. I guess I can try to match them up visually when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by tooslowhand View Post
          Maybe it's just a difference in terminology. I guess I can try to match them up visually when I get home.
          Yeah its a difference alright - the manufacturer's right and the seller's an idiot.
          Blank yo!

Comment

hahahaha... I bet it's something along those lines. They all seem to use that 1-2-3 scale though. Do you figure I'd be able to tell the difference matching them by eye?

Comment

If you place them all on a flat surface, yes. They are clearly different sizes.
              Blank yo!

Comment

OK, cool! Thanks so much again for the info. I only get a couple chances during the week to get this done so I want to make sure I know where I am going.

Comment

You can always shim one to get it to your desired height. They sell metal Floyd saddle shims, or you could always use a piece of thin copper tape or whatever. Charvel seemed to like the copper tape idea, as I'd found some of that under the saddles on my '05 Star.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good point, TJ. Shims would work fine as well.

You know, I was thinking about the radius issue at the bridge - to shim the outside saddles or not - you remember those heated debates.

Since the object is to get flatter at the bridge - why not just use all the same saddle? Would that be too flat?
                    Blank yo!

Comment

You could use all the same saddle with a flatter board radius. The Floyds were made originally for Strats that have rounder boards, so I guess they just kept the standard 10" radius all these years.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I contacted my seller too and he said that these saddles are from a "licensed" unit and they use a different numbering system. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by tooslowhand View Post
                          from a "licensed" unit and they use a different numbering system. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!
                          Fuck that - send that shit back, forthwith. Accept no substitute.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I should in principle but I am lazy as hell and if this saddle keeps strings on my guitar even for the next year or so I will consider it $8 well spent!

Comment

Is it on the high or low E string. If it's on the high swap it to the low. Also they are numbered on the bottom of the saddle.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X