Rumor to confirm or deny: EVH Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor to confirm or deny: EVH Floyd

I heard a rumor that the "EVH signature Floyd" exclusive to the new Wolfys is actually the same Korean Floyd as on the Charvel USA Production guitars. (...As also being used by many other manufacturers, inc Dean, BC Rich, Washburn, etc. So let's leave the Fender bashing at the door, please.)

Now, I normally don't buy into such internet rumor nonsense. However, I just happened to be at a local dealer the other day who had both hanging right next to each other. So I was able to do a (quick) side-by-side eyeball comparison. And I've got to say the two Floyds did look strikingly similar - the Wolfy's Floyd even has the same beveled rear edge to the saddles as the Charvel's.

Note: I'm not bashing these Korean Floyds! I've got one of the Production Charvels, and formerly owned another - they're great guitars, quality Korean Floyd and all.

I suspect this is one of those goofy rumors where there's a small kernal of truth, wrapped around a big ole bag of falseness. i.e., Maybe the saddles are the same, but the baseplate and/or block is different. Something along those lines.

...Anyone have the real facts?

No way to know for sure until you pull it off of there and check it out.

Saddles look the same. That's the only visual cue from the top. I doubt Schaller is making the baseplates in Germany.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

You know, it's pretty bad when 40% of your post is smoothing over the shit storm that will happen if you even insinuate in the slightest that the Korean Floyd is not on par with the German Floyd.

Comment

"If" the metals are the same and they go thru the same process i don't see why there would be any real difference in any of them, i don't notice really any difference in the korean floyds from the old originals i have that's noticeable anyway, just the shitty bar assembly, maybe they will wear quicker but that's gonna take some time for me to be able to tell.

Someone who is touring or used the tremelo excessivly probably will be able to notice this better.

On the other hand, i really am liking the old schaller i have, the inserts kinda make you concerned if they will last - but the unit is solid and nice and heavy, base plate seems twice as thick - and that i think trumps any of the original floyds old or new.
        just feels more solid, and i get the impression playing on it that it has a better tone.

the original floyd is dated, other companies are making a better product imo - like gotoh and graphtech.

Comment

Chances are its Korean, which is no big deal IMHO. If theres no made in germany stamp any where on it, then it wasnt. Ive had zero problems with the floyd that came on my SoCal, while the finish isnt as nice deep as an OFR, I cant complain otherwise.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

So thats on a $3000 guitar? The pro mod is a grand so you might expect a little cost savings here and there. That would be my concern. For 3 grand it should have the best available floyd out there. I wonder which model floyd is on this one?

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Fr...3-1258120.html

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              So thats on a $3000 guitar? The pro mod is a grand so you might expect a little cost savings here and there. That would be my concern. For 3 grand it should have the best available floyd out there. I wonder which model floyd is on this one?

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Fr...3-1258120.html

Mmm Tangy... haha
              "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
              Zakk Wylde

Comment

Are you talking about the FRT-xxxx (says Floyd Rose but no "germany")? Latest I read was that the FRT's and the Floyd Rose Special's are made in Korea, to the exact same specs as the OFR's, and shop(s) that are making them are controlled by FR. Only because it's cheaper to make there. FR gives full support and warranty on them both. FRT's are for production guitars only (not available to public) and the Specials are available to public. OFR or Gotoh would be nice but I'm planning on trying a FR Special on my Model 6. I can think of no reason not to try one.. Economy is as bad for me as it is for FR..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  Latest I read was that the FRT's and the Floyd Rose Special's are made in Korea, to the exact same specs as the OFR's
                  If they are to the same specs why do the saddles look different?

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                    Are you talking about the FRT-xxxx (says Floyd Rose but no "germany")? Latest I read was that the FRT's and the Floyd Rose Special's are made in Korea, to the exact same specs as the OFR's, and shop(s) that are making them are controlled by FR. Only because it's cheaper to make there. FR gives full support and warranty on them both. FRT's are for production guitars only (not available to public) and the Specials are available to public. OFR or Gotoh would be nice but I'm planning on trying a FR Special on my Model 6. I can think of no reason not to try one.. Economy is as bad for me as it is for FR..
                    IIRC teh FRT-xxx is the "full fledged" version wheras the Specials have zinc saddles and sustain block but the same steel baseplate.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                      If they are to the same specs why do the saddles look different?
                      So you can tell they're zinc.

Comment

Theres a thread over on Jemsite where the exclusive seller of the specials admits that they have zinc saddles and blocks. So, the pro-mod trems are spec'd identical to the made in germany ones? Just a matter of fit and finish between the two?

Comment

There's a lot of confusion about specs between the FRT-x000 series (as on the Charvel Production series) and the FR Specials. These are night and day, and many are misunderstanding them to be the same product.

As to the difference between the FRT-x000s (Korean Original Floyds) and Schaller-made units (German Original Floyds), no one really knows. The differences could be as little as them being made to the same specs & tolerances with the same metals and grades, but with minor variations in appearance (the infamous saddle bevel). Or there could be real differences, like zinc saddles. (Maybe true, but I highly doubt it.)

All I can say is the Korean units sound and feel very very similar to the German ones. Not the same, but very close. And I've never played a better non-Schaller Floyd or Floyd copy - it blows away all the imitations, IMHO.

The EVH unit is just another interesting wrinkle to this puzzle. Thought someone might have the answers. But it seems (as with the other units) there's just confusion, assumptions, and lack of information.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            All I can say is the Korean units sound and feel very very similar to the German ones. Not the same, but very close. And I've never played a better non-Schaller Floyd or Floyd copy - it blows away all the imitations, IMHO.
                            +1
                            +1
                            +1

Definately. I even liked the bar on the MIK one better than the one on my new German Floyd that replaced it - I had to order another bar assembly to see if I can get the wobble out.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

according to Guitar World oct 09 "The Floyd Rose trem is actually custome made for this guitar, It feathers a hardened steels-base plate, specific saddle tolerences, an EVH D-Tuna and and hardened steel hex bolts."

Of course time will tell if thats a bunch of BS or not.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X