ring with direct mount pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ring with direct mount pup?

Can this be done?My body is routed for direct mount pups but I prefer the look of the ring.Searched here but can't find the answerThanksChris

yea it can be done , unscrew the pickup from the guitar get the ring with the screw and mount it like you would normally , the only issue you may have is the screw may be to long so you will probably have to cut it .

Comment

It can be done but I think you will have problems using the same pickups since the holes maynot have any good threads and the screws used will have to be short since the routing isn't there for long adjustment screws.
      too slow. lol

Comment

Also, there is a difference in sizes of rings. What kind of guitar?
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Just put rings on the guitar with the pickups mounted as is.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

You can drill straight into the old mounting point (screw hole in the pickup cavity) to make clearance holes for the springs and standard-length screws. I just used a large drill bit (1/4" IIRC) and that made plenty of room.

Then, get the pickups in the rings and line them up. Tape them down tight and drill one hole for the ring.

Use a knife to trim the edge of the hole you drilled ("countersink" it a little, removing the paint from the immediate edge of the hole, so the paint doesn't crack.)

Then put the ring/pickup back on and use a screw in that hole. Re-tape it in the correct position, drill the next one, clearance it. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th but after the second you don't need the tape.

If you don't mess anything up, you now have standard mounting rings and screws where you had direct mounts before.

Comment

Working...
            X