Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasties on the back of the neck..

...wicked nasties.....

Anyway, after months of telling me he had a guitar but it was old and needed strings, my boss brought in his Sigma this morning for me to restring/cleanup and crap.

Well, the thing has been sitting in it's case for about 15-20 years. In the case, there is a piece of soft foamy crap which cushions part of the neck of the guitar. When he took the guitar out of the case, some of the residue from the soft foamy cram stuck to that part of the neck. I managed to get most of it off but that part of the neck is dull and still seems to have foam protection shit on it. Is there anything that can be done about this or will that be a nasty scar from the abuse it endured by doing nothing.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Oh wow. It's probably lacquer, man. Not as solvent-resistant as a modern guitar finish. Be careful!

Comment

It is no good, that's for sure. I got the nasties off, but there is still a dscoloration where it was. I am thinking that's the best it is going to get.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

How about hitting it with some 0000 steel wool?
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I am +1 on the steel wool idea.

Comment

There was a guy on the Fender Forum talking about the same thing - apparently its the adhesive used to hold the fabric to the padding in the case that breaks down and interacts with the finish.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Well I tried the steel wool and it helped a little, but not totally. I think this one is just going to be a little scarred. Luckily you can't really feel the difference while playing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

pictures?

Comment

Lol, I actually never took any of it, didn't think of it. I should have though now that you mentioned it.

Comment

Working...
                  X