overseas travel w/ guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overseas travel w/ guitar

Has anyone here traveled overseas with an electric guitar? I may be moving from Maryland to live in Cairo for a year and am looking for any tips.

Flight case?

Buy it a seat?

Ship it to yourself?

Seriously I have no idea.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

My best advice would be to get a Steinberger broom and bring as a carry on. Unless you get a flight case.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

I didn't have any trouble taking a Les Paul from LA to Cinci, back in 2005.

Comment

If the guitar is of any value to you then get a good flight case and as turk said buy it a seat if possible.
          Detune it prior to packing it in it's new case and make sure there is no wiggle room in the case. If you ship it to yourself you will be waiting for it to clear customs and that can take time and risk them messing it up during inspection.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I checked the TSA website and you are permitted to take 1 guitar on board as long as it's in a case. A flight case is an option but I don't think I could let any of my guitars go through baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1235.shtm

Comment

I flew with a tele which was in a simple gigbag from Cali to Uk and from there to continent. No problems whatsoever. The guitar was with me all the time and on the plane the crew put it in a safe place.

Hard case would be the way to go but even with a gig bag there shouldn't be any problems.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                Thanks for the input guys. I checked the TSA website and you are permitted to take 1 guitar on board as long as it's in a case. A flight case is an option but I don't think I could let any of my guitars go through baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1235.shtm
                Good.. my next suggestion was going to smuggle it like they do coke..but something tells me the pointy headstock is going hurt like hell.

Comment

The next question is should I take my classical or an electric even though I wont be able to take an amp. Although I can fit my mini Marshall in the case. I've never been away from my electric guitars for more than 1 week. A whole year without one is crazy to me.

Comment

I fly with an electric all the time, all over the planet. Never had a problem. I've used gig bags, Charvel chainsaw cases, and flight cases. Was most comfortable using the flight case, it was more "worry free". I've goen to the UK, the Middle East, Albania, Spain, as well as all over the United States...I think 32 States in the past few years. Brought a guitar with me nearly every time. I'm willing to bet that you'll be safe bringing one to Egypt.

One of the best investments I ever bought was one of those 'lil smokey amplifers off of Ebay. I pack that, a strap, a few cords, picks and my RP50 in the case (depending upon which case). Super light way to travel with an electric rig.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Oh yeah, personally, I'd take an electric........as long as I have my RP50 and lil smokey.
                      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

That is very reassuring info Bombtek, sounds like you just walked on the plane with your guitar every time. How recently did you travel to Europe/ Middle East with your guitar? Post-9/11?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                          That is very reassuring info Bombtek, sounds like you just walked on the plane with your guitar every time. How recently did you travel to Europe/ Middle East with your guitar? Post-9/11?
                          Yep went to UK in 04,05,06. Albania in 07. Middle East was both before and after 9/11. Got back just prior and seeing as we were already outfitted to go....left just after.

Comment

Oh, and during my Middle east trips, I flew all around in the Middle East using their commercial (don't remember the airline) airlines. I had to jump back and forth in between three different countries while I was over there. Always had my guitar with me too. Never had any problems.

Comment

Great, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X