New guitars day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitars day

Actually, I'm kinda cheating with that title The pickguard guitar arrived on Monday, and while the rearloaded arrived with me yesterday, I actually bought it a year ago - long story.... So, in order of purchase:

About 2 years ago, musiczoo posted a pic on their website of this guitar, and I thought it looked awesome! Sure, it's kinda plain-jane, but that's part of the appeal. Anyway, I forget some of the history (i.e. if this was a NAMM guitar or what), but it ended up with my buddy Phil. After a few months, we kinda kicked around the idea of me buying it or trading for it, but it never quite came together and it went back to TMZ on a trade. And low and behold, it came up in their 2008 'fall sale' list for a price that was waaaay too good to pass on

I got it shipped to a friend in Seattle, thinking that I'd get down there relatively quickly afterwards. But of course, life got in the way (repeatedly) and for whatever reason, we're now a year down the line. But fortunately my friend was coming up to Vancouver to see U2, and offered to bring the guitar with him. It's too early to give a 'player review', so for now it's just pics. The blue has a very definite pearl to it (pink pearl overspray) but it's difficult to capture it in a still photo. Anyway, finally, here is 7874:

Now I know for sure that this next guitar was a NAMM guitar - I have the FMIC sticker / tag thing to prove it (!), but of course, I can't remember when it was I think it was Jan 09 but it might have been Summer 08. Whatever, the guitar is like new, so it's all good. Again, this is a guitar that I really liked when I first saw it, but didn't feel like spending out the cash to secure it straight from NAMM. What with my Adrian Smith fixation, plus loving the Tangelo NAMM guitar as well, I guess I must be a sucker for black pickguards on solid colour super-strats! With echoes of 7874, my buddy Phil bought it. He has deeper pockets I guess :P And then a few months ago we started discussing a trade again. Only this time we finally got it together to make it happen...

This thing has an awesome awesome neck - to my mind it's skinnier than a lot of recent Charvel necks, but it's just so damn easy to play. And has some pretty sweet birdseye too! It's got a really easy feel to it - bending is a breeze while still retaining some fight, and overall it's just a great feeling / sounding instrument. And onto the pics:

And now the 'sister shots':

Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Oh, that blue one is killer. Looks great with the black pickguard. Sweet! Since you said the blue one's neck was thinner, how would you say it compares to your Adrian?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Beautiful, both of them. The depth and pop that the pink pearl adds to the rear loaded piece is awesome.

Comment

Both are truly drool-worthy. Congrats.

BTW, my guess is that bunch of pickguarded-NAMM guitars (including your's) were all done as a batch around the same time as - possibly along with - my Candy Green strat. Top-mounted, most had killer birdseye necks (inc. mine), and they all appeared within a month or two of NAMM. ...Too much of a coincidence, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          I can't remember when it was I think it was Jan 09 but it might have been Summer 08.
          I can remember. It was Jan 08!
          Last edited by busdriver; 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I'll be right back, I need to wipe my mouth off! Drooling!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Both of those look great!
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Killer
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  you said the blue one's neck was thinner, how would you say it compares to your Adrian?
                  Um, thinner It's a little more flattened D compared to the AS...

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                  I can remember. It was Jan 08!
                  Cool - thanks

Comment

Those are just awesome!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That birdseye neck is astounding. You should sell tours for viewing your collection...
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Good to see them together again mate! glad you dig them....

Comment

Awesome guitars, Ian! Your collection of guitars keeps getting better and better. One of these days I might have to take a road trip to the Northwest to stop in and check these out (and a few others we've talked about). LOL

Comment

Any time John

Comment

Very nice!!
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X