Loose TOM posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose TOM posts

I bought my brother in law a LTD EC-50 for Christmas. It was the best price I could get on a left handed guitar.

An no, I don't hate him...

He has 4 acoustics (2 steel, a nylon, and a 12) and plays all the time, but I want to bring out his inner rocker. I bought him a Line-6 Toneport UX-1 last year so he could record his acoustics with a mic or using the piezos, so he is already got an "amp" solution.

Anyway, back to the EC-50. The fretwork is actually surprisingly nice and once I gave the fingerboard a nice clean and oil, the rosewood isn't too shabby.

Anyways, I'm going to give it a good set up and I am going to throw a JB and Jazz in it too. (Yes Ron, I'm polishing this turd to a fine lustre.) But while I was checking it I noticed the TOM posts are really sloppy in the studs. The studs themselves are fine, its just the posts rattle around inside. Should I hit them with some teflon tape or will the pressure from the strings make movement a non-issue? I'm just concerned about tuning stability. I want this to be the best $200 guitar ever made.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Keep polishing that turd.

Tape sounds like a good idea. It might kill some of the sustain from bad coupling, but it's better than having tuning issues.

Comment

teflon tape will fix it quickly. Done it a few times, and while I can understand the potential for tonal differences, I didn't notice anything.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured as much but sometimes I just crave validation.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I bought my brother in law a LTD EC-50 for Christmas. It was the best price I could get on a left handed guitar.

An no, I don't hate him...

...(Yes Ron, I'm polishing this turd to a fine lustre.)
          Good on ya, eh?

That's cool you doing this for your bro-in-law. Mine makes about 4x my salary, and the handsome bastard don't give me jack!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
          X