Ebonized rosewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebonized rosewood

Can someone explain what ebonized rosewood means? Is it some sort of composite material or wood?

Thanks!

Rosewood that's been dyed black.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, it's "ebonized" with some black dye. Because the only difference between ebony and rosewood is the color...

Comment

Ever hear of a sharpie?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Ever hear of a sharpie?
          You can fix anything with the right color Sharpie.

Comment

www.stewmac.com sells some dye for doing this. They state it is the same stuff that Gibson and PRS use. I think it is actually black shoe polish.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ctures#details
            Last edited by ulijdavid; 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

The funny part about the stew-mac pictures is that in all cases I though the non-ebonized wood looked way cooler hehe.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

BC Rich have been known to "ebonize" their rosewood fretboards too.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The jackson neck on my mutt firebird looks like it may have that. I can tell its still rosewood, but it looks way to dark to be "normal rosewood", like on my RR3 or DK2.
                  I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                    The jackson neck on my mutt firebird looks like it may have that. I can tell its still rosewood, but it looks way to dark to be "normal rosewood", like on my RR3 or DK2.
                    Rosewood can also get pretty dark, but not pitch black.

The only way to tell a real ebony fretboard from a properly dyed one is by looking at the pores. Real ebony will be 99.99% free of any visible pores, all other woods will have their usual grain structure but still be pitch black.

Luthiers have been using black leather dyes to make ebony fretboards perfectly uniform for literally hundreds of years (most ebony has streaks). Only in recent decades have manufacturers started "ebonizing" fretboards of rosewood or other cheaper woods to get the same color for less price /easier workability.
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                      Rosewood can also get pretty dark, but not pitch black.

The only way to tell a real ebony fretboard from a properly dyed one is by looking at the pores. Real ebony will be 99.99% free of any visible pores, all other woods will have their usual grain structure but still be pitch black.

Luthiers have been using black leather dyes to make ebony fretboards perfectly uniform for literally hundreds of years (most ebony has streaks). Only in recent decades have manufacturers started "ebonizing" fretboards of rosewood or other cheaper woods to get the same color for less price /easier workability.
                      I understand that. Lol. I can see the pores thats why I am sure its rosewood. It's just dark rosewood.
                      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                        I understand that. Lol. I can see the pores thats why I am sure its rosewood. It's just dark rosewood.
                        The rosewood board on my DK2 looks nearly black as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq9KUuzwaZM

This old video of a guitar Sully was selling shows a dyed rosewood fretboard with a couple spots on the side where it didn't dye. It's a dramatic difference.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

That vid confirmed it. I have a dyed rosewood board. It's bound, which is why I couldn't compare it to the side like that.

Comment

....trying to think about what was going on with the sides of that fretboard! forgot about that one.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                              ....trying to think about what was going on with the sides of that fretboard! forgot about that one.
                              Just watch the vid. Lol :idea:

Comment

Working...
                              X