Neck Oiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Oiling?

After being a long time Jackson and import Charvel player I've finally joined the ranks of the USA Charvel owners having purhased a slightly used Custom Shop Crossed Swords.

The neck could probably use a fresh coat of Tru-Oil and I was hoping you guys would know if it's ok to apply the Tru-Oil over top of the Charvel and Custom Shop decal on the headstock? I'd hate to put the oil on and have it damage the decal.

Does anyone know whether they apply the decal before or after neck oiling at the factory?

I'm a sucker for chrome hardware and already had a spare chrome floyd in the cupboard so I'm changing out the black - will post some pics as soon as it's done.

Thanks,
    Peter.

I believe only to the back of the neck. The pront of the headstock is clear coated right?
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I doubt that a slightly used guitar needs a new coat of oil.

Comment

I'm pretty sure 84sups is right. I believe there's a thin coat of satin clear on the headstock. Whether to re-oil is your call. I haven't touched any of mine, but I know a few guys who like a heavier finish and have added a coat or two.

Comment

I have used Tru Oil on my maple fretboards as well with good results. (I'm currently using a local luthier's concoction now that goes on much lighter which is my preference). With Tru Oil, I prefer a quick coat on, and then wipe off before drying. Then let sit untouched for 48 hours to cure.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - it's really hard to tell if the headstock has a clear satin finish or not.

As it's coming on summer over here now which means lots of moisture in the air from the evaporative a/c I thought a quick coat of Tru-oil would be a good idea to prevent any warping.

As I have the tuners etc removed I was going to give the entire neck a quick shot of oil to make sure it's well sealed up.

Thanks,
            Peter.

Comment

If I had that beauty of a charvel, my own cream/oil would be all over it.
              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                If I had that beauty of a charvel, my own cream/oil would be all over it.
                remind me NOT to play your guitars!
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I will tell you NOT to oil the headstock (back or front). It is cleared and that is unecessary (and at least in theory could cause issues with the finish as oil can do things to finish and not all of the new finish jobs are perfect - sad but true).

The back of the neck and fret board are fair game (although they will probably not need it yet, but it cant hurt IMHO).
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                  X