Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very noisy SLSMG 81/85 (Hum/Buzz)

Hello,

I bought a Jackson SLSMG with a pre/factory installed Set of EMG85 in the neck- and a EMG81 in the bridgeposition.

Especially when using high gain sounds the guitar is making strong noise (Hum/Buzz), no matter if i touch the strings, the bridge, a poti or something.
    It happens with both pickups. It sounds a bit like using high gain with a singlecoil but more quiet than that.
    Sounds a bit like a grounding-issue to me. But i'm absolutly no expert with that active stuff.

All of my other guitars are much more quiet in comparison (all having passive PUs).
    Other things i tried:
    - New Battery --> No Change
    - Different instrument cable -> No Change
    - Different Preamps and Amplifiers --> No Change
    - Different Rooms --> No Change

- Soldered that black cable off the tonepoti, because i thought that it perhaps is the bridge-grounding --> No Change
    - I put off the quick connect connector first of the 85 and switched to the 81 (and than the same with the 81) to see if the noise stops
    (i'm not sure if this test would lead to anything^^) --> No change.

I am not sitting in front of a TFT or something, no phone nearby. The problem always exists.

The wiring in the Electronic-Case seems to be different from what EMG describes in their Manuals.
    I tried to make a wiring scheme (Jpg) to show you how it is done.

Maybe someone in this forum could give me a little help and tell me if there is something wrong with the wiring or what i can try to solve the problem.

Greetings

Well, let a luthier fix the problem.

Comment

For sure, thats one way to get the problem solved.
      But maybe it's just a little thing that can be easily fixed by myself.
      And finding a good luthier is not that easy around here^^.

Comment

Go google to find one around

Comment

Probably wouldn't hurt to add some shielding in the electronics cavities. Copper shielding is dirt cheap. The hardest part is installing it.

Comment

I looked, but I didn't see a ground to your switch. You need to have your switch grounded. This will cause hum and volume bleed if not grounded.

Comment

Actives dont use a ground to the back of the volume pot. It sounds like one of the pots are bad. If you got the guitar new you should send it back because it would be covered under warranty. But by trying to fix it you may have voided the warranty
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                Actives dont use a ground to the back of the volume pot. It sounds like one of the pots are bad. If you got the guitar new you should send it back because it would be covered under warranty. But by trying to fix it you may have voided the warranty

The pots have a ground wire between them, it's grounded to the jack not to the bridge. The switch also has to be included in this grounding chain.

Here are EMG wiring diagrams in which all have the switch grounded. http://www.emginc.com/content/wiring...0230-0039C.pdf
                Last edited by plon; 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
                  The pots have a ground wire between them, it's grounded to the jack not to the bridge. The switch also has to be included in this grounding chain.

Here are EMG wiring diagrams in which all have the switch grounded. http://www.emginc.com/content/wiring...0230-0039C.pdf
                  +1. Also, check to make sure your cable is pushed in all the way. EMG jacks seem to be very tight and sometimes the cable isn't pushed in all the way and can cause some weird buzz.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

get it fixed?

Comment

I could be wrong, but I traced your wiring diagram and it seems both signal wires are connected to the cover of the potentiometers, which in turn is connected to the ground wires. So basically it looks the signal is grounded, which seems very odd.

Are you sure the diagram is correct?

The easiest way to troubleshoot is to probably disconnect the pickups and then try to connect just one of them using a schematic from EMG.

To make it even more idiot-proof for testing you can connect just the pickup, the battery and the output jack.
                      Last edited by DR5Guy; 10-14-2009, 01:04 AM.

Comment

I was talking about a ground from the pots to the bridge/trem claw.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I looked, but I didn't see a ground to your switch. You need to have your switch grounded. This will cause hum and volume bleed if not grounded.
                          That grey-colored "bows" aside from the thicker lines are the outer shielding which is used separate from the innercable here.
                          So this shield is used to connect (and so ground) the Switch with the top of the vol-Poti .

Comment

Originally posted by DR5Guy View Post
                            I could be wrong, but I traced your wiring diagram and it seems both signal wires are connected to the cover of the potentiometers, which in turn is connected to the ground wires. So basically it looks the signal is grounded, which seems very odd.
                            The thick white Signalcables also have a outer shielding which is soldered on top of the potis. The Innercable is used for signal.
                            (The Isolation of the Signalcable is cut off at that little spots to solder the shield on top of the Potis)

Comment

Maybe a bad solder joint?

Comment

Working...
                              X