X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Allen key broken off inside truss rod socket

Hey there fellow JCFers

Haven't posted here for a while, nice to be back

I have a black '88 Charvel Model 4, and it's a rock solid instrument. I wanted to adjust the truss rod today when I discovered that there is the tip of an allen (or hex) key that's broken off inside the truss rod socket.

I also have a Charvel Fusion V bass, and it has exactly the same problem. I cannot adjust the truss rods on either instruments because they are, well, blocked.

What can I do about this?

Cheers

Wow... someone had to have REEFED on it to break the allen wrench... not good...
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I think the problem here is that neither the Model 4 nor the Fusion bass take an allen wrench. They take a 7mm box wrench like this:

Comment

Help! Allen key broken off inside truss rod socket

> Yeah it takes quite a bit of force to twist even a cheapo Allen key,much less a good hardened one. Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

"I do spine adjustments in addition to guitar setups!"

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            I think the problem here is that neither the Model 4 nor the Fusion bass take an allen wrench. They take a 7mm box wrench like this:

That's what I was going to say, my Model 2 uses a "socket" , not an allen wrench too.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by axewielder View Post

"i do spine adjustments in addition to guitar setups!"
              "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
              Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

If you had a allen key you didn't care about loosing couldn't you apply some super glue to the flat end and try to glue it to the broken half so it would adhere to remove it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                  If you had a allen key you didn't care about loosing couldn't you apply some super glue to the flat end and try to glue it to the broken half so it would adhere to remove it?
                  You apparently didn't read the other posts in this thread.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll try again... there is no broken-off allen key to remove on an import Charvel. The trussrods on these have a 7mm nut on the end which you turn by putting a box wrench or socket on it, rather than putting an allen key in it. There are lots of guitars with this type of adjustment.

Comment

Why couldn't you pull it straight out with a pair of small, needle nose vice grips? BTW: I suspect you need a box wrench and not an allen key to adjust your trussrod.

Comment

Does anyone read a thread before responding?
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

:ROTF:
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            You apparently didn't read the other posts in this thread.
                            I've apparently been misunderstood, I did read all the other posts and realize the truss rod uses a wrench. I should have stated my question differently. I was trying to find out if there was in fact a broken alley key in a truss rod that uses allen keys, if you could glue it to another one you didn't care about to remove it... I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                              I was trying to find out if there was in fact a broken alley key in a truss rod that uses allen keys, if you could glue it to another one you didn't care about to remove it...
                              I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                              X