Drilling RX10D body to add pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling RX10D body to add pot

I'm sure this is a common problem... as many of you will know, the Jackson X-series Rhoads (RX10D) comes with a volume pot as standard, but no tone control. I have had a pair of EMGs installed, and now in the control cavity I've got not only a battery crammed in there, but also a tone pot.

Since I had the EMGs put in, I've got more confident with doing some modding in terms of pickup replacement etc. I'd like to rewire the pickups and use the 18v mod, but I'm tight on space in that cavity, and it would make sense to have the tone pot on the front of the guitar now. Obviously it's a fairly simple thing to do, I just need to drill a hole through my guitar to mount it through.

What I would like to know is does anybody have any tips for drilling the guitar body in order to minimise the risk of damaging the finish? Should I drill from the front into the control cavity, or the other way around? It's got the cobalt blue swirl finish and I don't particular want to splinter or otherwise ruin it.

Thanks.

Drill from the front, but put masking tape over the area you're going to drill.
    Helps prevent chipping.
    I also mark the center of the hole to be drilled with awl first. This keeps the bit from dancing on you if you're drilling by hand.
    -Rick

Comment

What rick said plus use a brad point bit.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        Drill from the front, but put masking tape over the area you're going to drill.
        Helps prevent chipping.
        I also mark the center of the hole to be drilled with awl first. This keeps the bit from dancing on you if you're drilling by hand.
        +1
        Excellent advice. Make sure to 'T' up the drill with body as well, so you don't get a crooked hole and you should be good to go.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks for your help folks, I'll do that at the weekend.

Comment

Use carvingblades to put that pot in line with vol and the switch. It´s not a big job to do and it looks better.
            Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
            Jackson "Phobia" King-V
            BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
            SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
            Laney TF300
            Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Use a Forstner bit. 3/8" oughta do it. I did a Tone control hole on a body a few years ago with one and it came out nice. No tape over the area was needed - it drilled a nice clean hole.

Go in through the top into the cavity. Put the cavity cover on if you're doing the mod while holding it on your lap. Trust me
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

brad point or a forstner bit. love my forstner bits to death.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X