X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Intonation Issue

Hi guys.

Quick question....

I have an Ibanez RGA121. I tune it down half a step with Elixit Mediums. (.11 - .49) It intonates fine and I have no issues.

Anyhow, I recently switched to a .52 string on the Low E , so that I could play a drop (c#)

In order to intonate, I had to remove the saddle string and the saddle is COMPLETELY all the way back. (on rga's there is lots of space, so I found that odd)

Anyhow, when I tune it in C# on the low E, it behaves weird on the tuner, and is tough to tune to pitch. When I pluck the note, it'll "waver" around and its tough to get it set on C# exactly! I have to let it sit for a second, it might hit the perfect pitch, but then a second later it'll waver off again.

Might this be a bad string, or could it be a limitation of a 25.5" scale guitar trying to tune to low?!? Ive never had issues with my Musicman sterling bass, it tunes great on low tunings. So im just curious, on a 25.5" scale guitar, once you start getting that low, might I have a bad string, or is there limitation on how well you can tune at that pitch and scale length?!?

There is a limitation on some guitars as to how low you can tune with a standard scale. My Strat just barely makes it in Eb with 10-46 gauge strings.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That "wavering" sounds like maybe the pickup is a bit high and the magnet is grabbing it.

Comment

axewielder, thats the first thing I checked!!!

It doesnt do it on any other strings. Im gonna buy one more string, and see if that changes anything, and if not, write it off and try things another way.

Comment

a little bit of that may be that when tuning down, you gotta pluck a lot lighter on the strings as they will go out of tune heavily -
          it's a bitch to get the low A on my 7 to settle as well on a digital tuner.

double check just using a harmonic on the 12th to see if it's tuned true.

Sometimes the low strings oscillate funky - you might notice.
          you should be able to tune to C# on a 25.5 scale i'm tuned to A and intonated, it is a pain in the ass tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
            you should be able to tune to C# on a 25.5 scale .

+1

My KVX10 25.5 and is tuned to C standard and intonated perfectly. My top string is a .54 though. I found that the thicker string on top helped with tuning stability (my biggest pet peeve)
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
            X