Tonezone vs. JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonezone vs. JB

Im thinking about switching the JB in my DK2T to a Tonezone, is it even worth it? I like the description i read on Dimarzios website but im wondering if the JB has more gain than the Tonezone.

Gain is about the same. The JB has more treble and high mids. The Tone Zone has more low mids and bass. I prefer the Tone Zone.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm not a DiMarzio fan, but I do like the ToneZone in my SoCals a lot better than the JBs in the Style 1s (same body wood). I do like the JB as a neck pickup though. Haven't tried the TZ in the neck. Hmmmmm....

To me the JB sounds...not so much dull, but kinda smooth, and not in a good way. Weak in overall character but not flat. It's more "Stephen Wright" than "Ben Stein", if you know what I mean. It doesn't really seem to "jump out at you". The TZ, when backed away from the strings, does sound very similar to a JB to me, but up kinda close to the strings I find it has a certain punch and growl that the JB just can't compete with.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've not tried the Tonezone, but I see the usual two JB bashers have chimed in

Comment

I like the Duncan Custom myself. It's not quite as hot as the JB but a lot more full bodied. I haven't tried the Custom 5 yet but I have a feeling I'd really like it in the Jacksons, because with the alnico V magnet it should make it a little warmer still.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The JB has to be the most finicky pickup I've ever owned and used. When it's a good match it is awesome. When it's not, it sounds anywhere from dull to almost sterile. Seems to me, and I could very well be wrong, that the JB is an attempt to cut through no matter what. The cutting through part is fine. It's the no matter what part that concerns and sometimes disappoints me. That said, I like the JB in a variety of bodies.

I have used and pulled more than one Tone Zone in the past. Like the JB and many other pickups, it isn't going to work well for everyone. But I have found that it seems to be more versatile than the JB. The Tone Zone seems a bit more "out front" too, if that makes sense. I left the one in my Ferrari SoCal. I was going to drop a Super Distortion in its place. But the more I use it and dial it in, the more pleased I seem to be with it, as is.

+1 on the Custom. Probably my overall fav in the pickup world for the bridge position.
            In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I've not tried the Tonezone, but I see the usual two JB bashers have chimed in
              I didn't bash it in this thread, did I? I've never been a big fan of the JB, but it sounds good in my black Hamer Special (at times it can be a bit thin sounding)... though, I do actually have a TZ laying around if I decide to replace it! The JB also sounded pretty good in my gunmetal gray RR1T... though, it did get changed to a PATB-2. And the black RR1T I had, it also sounded pretty decent in.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I like the Duncan Custom myself. It's not quite as hot as the JB but a lot more full bodied. I haven't tried the Custom 5 yet but I have a feeling I'd really like it in the Jacksons, because with the alnico V magnet it should make it a little warmer still.
                I hated the C5 in my alder Charvel Star and actually replaced that with a TZ. The C5 is a little scooped in the mids and sounded hollow to me. I do like the C5 in my one Hamer Special (mahogany/maple top), but it was in there when I bought the guitar back from Travis.

Comment

I love the warm growl of a Tone Zone. I find it slightly hotter than a JB too. JB is a great pick up though. Maybe more versatile too.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Yeah, the C5 I think is a better match for an LP style guitar. I've not tried a C5 before, but I just put a full shred in my 750XL. Full Shred supposed to be a C5 with allen heads.

Holy shit this thing is BRUTAL! Perfect nails Metallica for Kill em All, L, RTL, and MOP. Playing stuff from Kill em All on this thing is especially fun! The chunky tightness is killer.

Also, when you turn the tone down, it sounds like a neck pickup. Most bridge pickups sound grainy or naisely(sp?) when you turn the tone down, making them less than useful. This pickup is very useful with the tone turned down.

Now to find a damn Full Shred neck pickup.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I bought the guitar back from Travis.
                    LOL!, this 750XL came from Travis as well. Can't thank him enough. It sounded ok with the Distortion Mayhem set in it, but it was just TOO MUCH - output, mids, etc. The Full Shred is a perfect match and I'm liking the guitar a lot more now.
                    Last edited by DonP; 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I bought that guitar from Pete, it had the original JB/59 combo (sounded good through my Marshall, not so good through the Mesa F-30 combo I had)... so I swapped the pups out for a chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81 set. Travis hounded me for the guitar for a couple years, then I sold it to him without any pups, he had it for a couple years then sold it back to me with the C5 and A2P which sound fantastic in it. The A2P, of course, sounds like Slash!
                      I've heard good things about the Full Shred, just have never used one yet.

Comment

The JB has more treble and high mids.
                        Thats what i dislike about it, it sounds a bit to trebley, so it looks like the Tonezone is what i need.

Comment

I had a full shred in an ibanez RG series and it was nice. Pretty light on the lower frequencies in standard tuning though. For leads it was amazing though.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a Full Shred in the neck of my WR1 and its paired with a BKP Painkiller in the bridge. A perfect match for that guitar. The stock Invader stunk though.
                            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

never had problems with JB, very easy to get the sound of Lynch or Warren D.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X