SD1 knob problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD1 knob problem

Hey guys, I know this is probably a noob question but how do you guys change your knobs? I've tried three differen't knobs and none of them fit. The holes in the knobs all seem to be too small to fit on the post, one is a Jackson knob and the other two are from an esp. I would've figured something like that would universal. Anyway I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks M

Allparts has knobs that fit. That's what I used on mine.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Sounds like you are trying knobs from imports. cts pots have bigger shafts.

Comment

Changed out the volume pot on my DK2 to a CTS pot and used the same knob no problem.
        Check with allparts as mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemures View Post
          I would've figured something like that would universal.
          There are two sizes of pots - small and large. So you need two different sized knob holes.

Usually the imports get the small and the USA get the large.

Comment

Changed out the volume pot on my DK2 to a CTS pot and used the same knob no problem.
            Did you use a solid shaft pot?

Comment

Guitar Center sells the All Parts metal knob that worked fine on my SD1.
              '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
              '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
              '98 PRS Custom 22
              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

What you need, is a knob for "solid shaft pots." Allparts has them in dome or flat top in any finish you want, just make sure that they say they are for solid shaft pots.

Comment

Or... if all else fails... Use a 1/4" drill bit and enlarge the hole in the knob.
                  Stew Mac also sells the 1/4" knobs... I know they work, I used one on my SD1.
                  Don

Comment

I've replaced the original pot on my So-Cal with a couple of 500K Dimarzio pot's (I've added the Tone control) and the regular sized knobs fit on them just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                      Or... if all else fails... Use a 1/4" drill bit and enlarge the hole in the knob.
                      +1
                      this was easy, I bought the 3/16 size from Warmoth and when I realized it was too small, I just drilled it out to 1/4. worked great. you have to drill perfectly straight in though to keep the knob rotation on plane, so use a vice and a washcloth to hold it tight and go slowly.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

i use dice knobs on mine, try those

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                          i use dice knobs on mine, try those
                          Andrew Dice Clay has his own line of guitar knobs out? Whoda thunk it?
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X