Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes a discoloration of the clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes a discoloration of the clear coat?

Just curious, I was thinking smoke but what other reasons are there for discoloration of the clear coat?
    "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Oxidation, UV light, dust/dirt/grime making its way into the clear coat...

Comment

Constant use, like sweat would probably wear it down, happened to an ESP LTD of mine.

Comment

Good thing is now if you sell it.... you can say it's "vintage"!! Everyone else does... I fuckin hate that word now!
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I thonk that a certain kind of poly just turns yellow with age.

Comment

Anything that is a free radical or generates a free radical I suspect won't do it any good. Your clear coat should have some sort of UV inhibitor to help prevent UV from damaging the finish but this won't last for ever. Cigarette smoke and smoke in general is packed full of these little free radicals.

My advice is not to smoke a cigarette near a bonfire in direct sunlight to often. lol
            Last edited by Daveybwoy; 09-28-2009, 07:14 AM.

Comment

If I were you, and im not.... I would lightly sand around where it is chipping to prevent it from chipping further. Then you will have a nice vintage look for your guitar. There is always that option of painting it but thats what you will have to think about. I take all my guitar bodys to Toyota of Greenville, a friend of mine works there and makes the paint job look like glass. it costs me $150 everytime but the end result is well worth it. Take your time and make the choice thats right for you, you can get thousands of opinions here just do whats right for " You"

Comment

Working...
              X