noise???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise???

getting alot of noise, on both pedal board and with every guitar? have cheap cables,could they be the problem? if so what would someone recomend?

thanks
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

i had noise issues with my pedals till i switched from connecting cables to all metal connecting plugs like the ernie ball male/male 1/4 in plug.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Lotsa things can account for noise. Could be the guitar, pedals, amp, cable, your power source, your location in the room...

Start simple - guitar -> cable -> amp = noisey?

Yes? Change the cable & repeat. Still noisy? Change the guitar and repeat...

etc.

etc.

IN GENERAL - shitty stuff is noisy - shitty amps, shitty cables, shitty pickups: all add to the mess.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

could be the amp, the guitars have good pickups in them! could be a ground in the plug of my house! but i am thinking cables! once i start playing there is no noise in the pickups! rio grande punch box and crunch box in the sl2h and that scream'n demon i got from you in the ps-4-I have alot of eletrical stuff in this room?
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

What kind of amp? What kind of cables? How much stuff you got plugged in? My practice marshall tubescreamer rig is noisy but it's a fucking $50 practice amp of course it's noisey.
          Blank yo!

Comment

randall rc235, and either a rp-7 or a x-vamp..cable are cheapies bought on ebay rubber!

Comment

Flourescent lights?

Comment

Yeah flourescent lights and fans cause tons of electrical noise. Cables can help reduce or eliminate it. Power conditioner on the amp helps as well.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Did you try to disconnect all power supplies and run on batteries to see if it makes any difference? High-gain pedals (distortion, compressor, etc.) make or amplify noise, so you can temporary remove these from your signal chain.

Whatever the case, if you just want to cure the symptoms, the ISP Decimator works very very well:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...dal?sku=150368

Comment

Is it a new problem or something that's been around and you're just getting around to fixing?
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Buy some decent cables! Dimarzios are all I use - not Monster-spensive, but durable and sound good. I've had some for almost 20 years - the braided ones.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Here is one that bit me in the ass just last week....

All the sudden my ISP decimator pedal stopped blocking noise as well as it had in the past. I was getting loud hum even when the pedal was active and I couldn't dial it out of the signal. When I touched the pedal it felt 'hairy'. I thought the pedal was fried or had an internal short.

It turns out that because I was running it on a power adapter, I took out the battery, and the battery terminals were shorting to the inside of the battery cavity. (Which is chromed like the outside case of the pedal.)

So make sure you don't have pedals shorting out, especially if you are running them on a power supply and don't have batteries.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

A big cause of noise on pedal boards is ground loops. If you daisy chain power (like OneSpot) that can be the cause. Try either running the padals off batteries, get individual supplies for each, or get a power supply with isolated grounds. Also if your signal splits (e.g. stereo) the physical space between the cables creates a loop attenna that pits up noise. If you minimize the space between the two cables (e.g. twist them together along the path) that will mimimize this. Lastly, if you run stereo to two different amps, that creates a ground loop. The solution is to run the cables together from the pedal board to the amps and separate them only at the amps. Also make sure the amps are run off the same power outlet.

Comment

thanks guys! lotta good feedback on this Q !!!

Comment

BIG NAME CABLES = OVER RATED Sometimes it just pays to pay cheap and get better quality from a company thats just beginning and has someone working there with years of experience in the business.

Comment

Working...
                              X