Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be careful changing straplocks on USA Production Models!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful changing straplocks on USA Production Models!!!

I've changed/installed straplocks on probably 30-40 guitars in my life and have never had this problem...

Check out the picture below. When I tightened down the new straplocks, the finish cracked and just flaked away. It did it on the butt end too, but not as bad.

I suspect that the finish on mine is defective. I contacted Charvel and they said to take it to the local dealer to have it inspected. But I also asked the Charvel (Fender) rep if replacing straplocks counts as "modification or alteration", which any damage caused by that is excluded from their warranty. He said that yes it is considered that, but to go to the local dealer anyway to see if there's anything they can do.

I don't think I'll even waste my time. I'm sure they'll tell me it's not covered.

Are the screws wider? Most things are going to crack or chip if the screws used are bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      Are the screws wider? Most things are going to crack or chip if the screws used are bigger.
      They may be a little wider, not sure. But dude, I've done this 30-40 times on all kinds of guitars and it's never happened.

Comment

Dunlops use bigger screws than Schaller. You might have some problems with them coming loose after a while.

But that does suck. I've got a similar chip in mine at the treble side neck pocket from pulling the neck off and putting it back in - it just cracked and chipped away. Friggin' thick ass finish on these.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah... this doesn't make sense to me. The Dunlops that come on the Pro Mods use a much bigger screw than Schallers, I know, because I swapped mine and had to use a toothpick & some glue to get a good bite with the Schaller screws.

So, you removed the Dunlops and screws, and used the Schaller screws and screwed the strap locks on, and THAT happened? Ridiculous. That finish looks massively thick. Wow I may take another pass at leveling all of the ugly grain lines and seams that continue to show up on mine even after I block-sanded it once.

The finishes on these guitars suck balls. They don't seem to use any grain filler at all, and just lay it on thick as hell. Seriously my white one has been sitting in the basement and it has 1/8" grain lines showing in it, they look a lot worse than they did when I bought it. The black one HAD them, but I wet-sanded it smooth 2 or 3 months ago... They're back. And there's some funny-shaped little rings (knots?) showing up now, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            And there's some funny-shaped little rings (knots?) showing up now, too.
            Impact craters. I've dropped all manner of shit on mine (screwdrivers, etc) and get those round cracks that look like BB shots.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Ya know guys, I don't know for sure that I had the actual Schaller screws. I have a box with a bunch of parts in it and I could've easily grabbed a screw that wasn't a Schaller. As a matter-of-fact, I must've done that, because they screwed right in without needing any toothpics or woodglue. When the screws started getting towards the end, this big chunk of finish fell off in my lap. LOL

I've been told on another board that I screwed them in too tight. Well, maybe so I guess, but I've done this the same way a BUNCH on other guitars and have never had this happen. Perhaps it was user error and I've just been super lucky every other time? Not sure.

I really dig this guitar, so I'm not slamming it or anything. It just seems to me that the finish on my particular guitar is SUPER brittle. I fully expect that to keep coming off in chunks.

I don't mind scratches, dings, etc... on my guitars from gigging. I don't mind that at all. I just hate damage like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Impact craters. I've dropped all manner of shit on mine (screwdrivers, etc) and get those round cracks that look like BB shots.
                Yeah, they do look like dings but they're not. I'm thinking they just use no grain filler and lay the poly on super-thick. When it shrinks and settles a bit, you get grain lines galore.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Yeah, they do look like dings but they're not. I'm thinking they just use no grain filler and lay the poly on super-thick. When it shrinks and settles a bit, you get grain lines galore.
                  Oh yeah its crazy thick. The chunk off my neck pocket looked like a hunk of nail polish... with half a finger still attached.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Ha ha ha... Well I guess I shouldn't worry too much about sanding through the finish with 1000-grit then. Would probably take a few weeks by the look of that chunk missing off the OP's guitar.

Comment

this has happened to me before. it's really just a sucky pit in your stomach every time you realize what you did. life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                        this has happened to me before. it's really just a sucky pit in your stomach every time you realize what you did. life goes on.
                        Very true. I still really dig this guitar and this didn't change my mind or anything. But it still pretty much sucks!

Comment

Yeah, hate to say it, but it does look like you may have over-tightened there. I've done it myself, and it utterly sucks. It's definitely one of those Homer-esque "Doh!" moments. Sorry, man. Been there, done that.

Comment

Looks like the pad is in the right spot. You must have REALLY crunched down on that!

Comment

I think you should put a few more chips in it and call it a relic. Instant $500 more value!

Comment

Working...
                              X