Bridge Pick Up In The Neck Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pick Up In The Neck Position?

I've got an old SD AH-1B (Allan Holdsworth) in the bridge position. With the B designation its a bridge pup but is there any drawn back to putting it in the neck position? I've got a new pup that I would like to run the in the bridge position, but love the tone of the AH..... There is plenty of wire lead to make the switch. Thanks for your advise.
    Turn that Sh......... down!

There's nothing wrong with giving it a try. People do it all the time. I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in the neck of my 750XL, and it balances great with the Distortion in the neck. As a matter of fact, the original factory neck pickup in that guitar was a J50B, so there you go. I don't know the specs of the Holdsworth, but I'm guessing it's not a very high-output pickup, so it should probably work fine.

Comment

Yep it can be done. The only thing is the pole pieces might not line up completely cus the string passing is different. The over all tone will be bassier too. Due to the wider string vibration pattern at the neck. Just make sure the bridge pup is a higher output than the AH2 and it should be ok. If the holdsworth is too bassy drop it down a bit away from the strings. that should help.
      Gil

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a glaring issue right out of the gate with the swap. I hate it when you spend time on a project...... to instantly find out it didn't go good and could have been avoided with a simple question.
        Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

People use JB's and Screamin Demons in the neck. The only issue is, will it sound good?

Comment

Working...
          X