Help! I screwed up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I screwed up!

OK, I'm in a panic now. I changed out the pickups in my Jackson Kelly and everything went great. Was restringing it and that's when I did it. One of the saddles (the A string one if it matters) got the threads stripped inside where the string lock screw goes in. I overtightened it. What can I do now? I assume I need to replace the saddle, or do I need to replace the entire Floyd Rose assembly?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Fear not, you can buy replacement saddles.

http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Licensed-Saddles.html

http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Par...e_Saddles.html
    -Rick

Comment

and rjohnstone saves the day
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Thanks, rjohnstone. Which one do I need? Mine is apparently the JT-500, in black.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Is it the actual screw that is stripped or the saddle into which the screw is threaded?
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

It's the saddle itself. The threads on the screw itself look fine still.

Comment

I did the same thing once, but luckily it was only the screw.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Try running the correct size tap through the hole. It should clean up the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  Thanks, rjohnstone. Which one do I need? Mine is apparently the JT-500, in black.
                  JT-500 or JT-580?
                  If it's the JT-500, ditch the trem and replace it with a Schaller.
                  If you cannot afford to replace the trem, this saddle will work, http://www.gpdusa.com/Saddles-LT1_Lo...lo_Saddle.html
                  But you will have to use the lock bolt from the old saddle.
                  -Rick

Comment

I have been told by others in the imports section that it is the JT-500.
                    How much would it cost to replace the whole trem?

I got a temporary fix going by running super glue in the threads, allowing it to dry with the bolt in, then cracking the bolt loose. It made "super glue threads" and seems strong for now.

But ideally I would like to just replace the whole trem assembly. If anyone can help me find a killer deal on one (funds are super low, I like a lot of Americans, am out of work!) please let me know! Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

The only trems that would fit in that route are the Schaller Floyd, a JT-590 (which is a re-branded Schaller) or a Floyd Rose II.
                      The there are the hundreds of Schaller style knock offs out there as well, but they are built just like your JT-500.

I suggest starting with eBay if money is tights.
                      A new Schaller will cost roughly the same as a new OFR... $150 - $200 range.
                      -Rick

Comment

you can get one new on the bay for 49.+ shipping, the jt-500 knock off's they are just as good if not better than the jt-500.
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                        X