Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refin Question

Hey all,

I've decided to do a refin on my long abused ke3. A friend who has access to a booth offered to paint it for me, so I have started to sand it down. This thread is worthless without pics yada yada, but I have a query for those in the know:

What kind of mask should I use while sanding? I bought a cheapish dust mask that is certified FFP 2, but after about half an hour of sanding I am not so sure. Recommendations?

Thanks.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

No takers? Someone? Anyone?

Comment

whatever you can get your hands on.. .. that's why i never use any :P
      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

On paper, an FFP2 mask should be adequate as long as it has a good fit and nothing is getting in around it. Are you noticing a bad taste or smell after using it for a while? I did a guitar a few years ago that made me question my mask (3M FFP2) when I got down to the metallic undercoat and thought I could taste it. I switched over to my painting respirator to finish up. From the reading I did, the particles shouldn't have been able to get through, but it was probably a fit issue. A mask or respirator that doesn't fit right isn't protecting you.

Comment

Thanks dg. It does smell a bit funny, but I thought that was kinda normal. Is it a major health hazard?

Comment

I don't know the answer to that. My gut tells me you should be OK if the mask fits well. There's probably no getting around smelling it somewhat (the sanding could be heating the finish and releasing fumes that get by the mask) and a certain small percentage of really fine particles getting through, even with a perfect fit. I like to err on the side of caution, but I'm around hazardous stuff at work and just always try to keep my exposure as low as possible. So much of that stuff has never been fully tested over long periods of time. I asked around a bit after my experience w/ the metallic paint, and most said that metallics can be very nasty, and it was a good move that I switched to the respirator.
            Last edited by dg; 09-06-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks bro.

Comment

We spend a fair bit of money getting everyone face fitted for masks at work. Like its been said make sure you fit the thing correctly. He's a useful link to show you how.

http://www.fisher.co.uk/medialab/How...fety-mask.html

If you have a tash or other facial hair get rid of it.

Comment

Quick question for you... are you repainting the whole guitar a solid color?
                  If so, don't waste the time sanding it down to the wood or even the primer coat.
                  Just knock the top coat off with some 220 so the new paint will have something to bond too.
                  Fill in any chunks with a good epoxy filler (something that doesn't shrink when it dries) and sand smooth.
                  -Rick

Comment

I use my 3M NiOSH respirator for almost everything...doesn't matter if it's spraying nitro or sanding - this goes on first...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beF3RH7CD92Ngl

I get mine and the cartridges at Home Depot, Lowes doesn't carry them...
                    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Quick question for you... are you repainting the whole guitar a solid color?
                      If so, don't waste the time sanding it down to the wood or even the primer coat.
                      Just knock the top coat off with some 220 so the new paint will have something to bond too.
                      Fill in any chunks with a good epoxy filler (something that doesn't shrink when it dries) and sand smooth.
                      Yeah, thinking of going that route. It's gonna be snow white. :idea:

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                        Yeah, thinking of going that route. It's gonna be snow white. :idea:
                        get the 3m mask, and when you smell something other then your funky breath, that's not a good sign. and yes, paint over the current finish.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                          get the 3m mask, and when you smell something other then your funky breath, that's not a good sign. and yes, paint over the current finish.

sully
                          Funky breath? Yeah that must be it.

Comment

Holy thread resurrection!

After a year, lots of drama and plenty of procrastination, I finished this project. It was done by a pro refin guy and my buddy and I put the electronics back together. I must say I love white guitars.

Here's the only before pic I can find.

Here's a crappy after pic I took:

Sisters:

Last edited by levantin; 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X