Hanger-String Swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanger-String Swing

I want to hang my RR24m with a String Swing hanger I picked up. The location I want it is not to a stud. The RR24 isn't exactly a PC-1 as far as weight, it's pretty light. So do you guys think it'd be ok just into the sheetrock?? It says good for up to 15lbs if you use the anchors, I think it's cool, just wanted to see if any of you have done that. Thanks, later...
    Let go, let Guitar

If you don't have cheap sheetrock and you use good quality drywall anchors if should be fine. (Ikea actually stocks some of the best drywall anchors I've ever seen.)

I would recommend though if you aren't anchoring it to stud, to keep it low on the wall just in case...
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

If I'm forced to install a hanger thats not on a stud this is what I use.

They will usually hold about 40lbs.

Comment

+1

Go with those toggle bolts and you'll have no worries. I had to install a baby-gate for the stairway where there was no stud and used those. My 35 lb. 2-year-old hangs on it & jumps up & down on it and it holds.

Comment

OK true story here...

I had these beams on my kitchen ceiling which I hated. Rustic poplar-covered lookign things, purely decorative, about 6" x 6". I start cracking the poplar of the outside and inside I find it is two 2x6's, with sections of a 3rd 2x6. These are about 15 feet long. HEAVY.

Guess what was holdign them onto the ceiling? Well besides some liquid nails on latex paint that wasn't doing much, there were TWO TOGGLE BOLTS into the plaster/lathe.

So yeah, I think a toggle bolt will hold an RR24 up no problem, so long as you don't have crappy drywall.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            OK true story here...

I had these beams on my kitchen ceiling which I hated. Rustic poplar-covered lookign things, purely decorative, about 6" x 6". I start cracking the poplar of the outside and inside I find it is two 2x6's, with sections of a 3rd 2x6. These are about 15 feet long. HEAVY.

Guess what was holdign them onto the ceiling? Well besides some liquid nails on latex paint that wasn't doing much, there were TWO TOGGLE BOLTS into the plaster/lathe.

So yeah, I think a toggle bolt will hold an RR24 up no problem, so long as you don't have crappy drywall.
            LOL yeah. I had an old bookshelf held up but 2 of these. It weight a ton without the books and wanted to lean forward anyways. Toggle bolts will definitely do the job without any problems what so ever.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

What if I use the ones that came w-it...they are just basic white plastic anchors that spread behind the wall.
              Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Do they actually spread behind the wall and pull up against the sheetrock from behind, or are they the spreader type that just push outward and rely on gripping the sides of the hole? I wouldn't trust them if they just grip the sides. Sheetrock is crumbly stuff, and those things can pull out if anything out of the ordinary happens (think kids, drunk friends, etc). They make screw-in anchors that are much better than the spreader type and cost less than a buck, but I'd still use toggles myself.

Comment

Here is a video demonstrating the 30 pound screw in types.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4418784_us...l-anchors.html

I prefer the umbrella/toggle types myself as they tend to hold up better in softer grades of drywall.

The ones I use from Ikea are plastic versions of the umbrella type above with 4 expanding bits.

Last edited by Hellbat; 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The hollow wall anchors work great, and you can get away with a smaller hole than with toggle bolts, or use the nail-in type & not have to drill at all. The only issue that can crop up is if you don't know how thick your drywall is before you buy them, since they come in different sizes for different wall thicknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      Do they actually spread behind the wall and pull up against the sheetrock from behind, or are they the spreader type that just push outward and rely on gripping the sides of the hole? I wouldn't trust them if they just grip the sides. Sheetrock is crumbly stuff, and those things can pull out if anything out of the ordinary happens (think kids, drunk friends, etc). They make screw-in anchors that are much better than the spreader type and cost less than a buck, but I'd still use toggles myself.
                      Doesn't look like they spread, looks more like side grip type deal. I better make a store run tomorrow and get something more suitable. If I came home and found my RR on the floor I'd definatley go on a shooting spree. Thanks for all the help dudes, this forum is almost as cool as Jacksons...
                      Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Working...
                      X