Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Vibrations on Rhoads Neck

while playing my USA Rhoads yesterday I had a strange experience

when I hit the high strings really hard and mute the strings very quickly afterwards, I can feel that the neck is vibrating afterwards, especially somewhere in the area of the first frets. I could also describe it as pulsating.

As I don't experience anything like that on my Japan Rhoads or my Soloist I'm quite worried...
    I have changed the springs a couple of days ago, I don't know if those (were new) could generate something like that.
    I have no idea, but would it be possible that the truss rod is loose in there and is now resonating? I get nightmares thinking about stuff like that...

Originally posted by no-one View Post
    while playing my USA Rhoads yesterday I had a strange experience

when I hit the high strings really hard and mute the strings very quickly afterwards, I can feel that the neck is vibrating afterwards, especially somewhere in the area of the first frets. I could also describe it as pulsating.

As I don't experience anything like that on my Japan Rhoads or my Soloist I'm quite worried...
    I have changed the springs a couple of days ago, I don't know if those (were new) could generate something like that.
    I have no idea, but would it be possible that the truss rod is loose in there and is now resonating? I get nightmares thinking about stuff like that...
    I have no clue, but thats weird, (if it was described correctly). I like guitars that resonate nicely, but this maybe something else.
    But has it always been like this, or did it just start?
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Try raising the action.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Actually, I think it's broken beyond repair. You should just give up on it. You would have to pay to dump it at the dump, so I'll pay the shipping, tha way you can ship it to me, and I'll dispose of it for you.
        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Yes, the tremolo springs can resonate and make weird noises.

For an experiment, try stuffing something under them like a couple of folded-up paper towels, and see if you can still recreate the sound.

Comment

Make sure the truss rod nut is snug and not slack or loose. Make sure all your tuners are good and tight with no loose collets or screws. If it has a floyd make sure the nut is mounted snug as well.
            If its none of them try loosening the truss rod about 1/4 turn and then tightening it back. Some times you will get a resonant frequency that does really bizzare shit to truss rods.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              Yes, the tremolo springs can resonate and make weird noises.

For an experiment, try stuffing something under them like a couple of folded-up paper towels, and see if you can still recreate the sound.
              Is what you're describing similar to that one guy that said he got resonation only at certain pitches? I remember someone told him to stuff it like that, and he said it worked great, but then it resonated at a different pitch.

Comment

you can buy noisless springs at floydupgrades.com

Comment

**Taken from the Site**
                  "**NEW** Noiseless Tension Springs use a revolutionary new polymer to eliminate noise through pick-ups. Giving your music a tighter crisper sound. No after noise, echo, or reverb especially on loud volume. Great for studio recording!

Fits Kahler, Floyd Rose and their licensed products. Also fits Fenders."

Thats doesn't stop resonation, if I understand correctly, I believe it means the Coating makes them not as magnetic, so that they don't change the way the pickup sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                    Is what you're describing similar to that one guy that said he got resonation only at certain pitches? I remember someone told him to stuff it like that, and he said it worked great, but then it resonated at a different pitch.
                    Yes.

If you do it right, it will stop completely, but it also makes the tremolo not work. But the idea is just to keep the springs from vibrating at all so you can see if that's actually what's vibrating.

Comment

I have no clue, but thats weird, (if it was described correctly). I like guitars that resonate nicely, but this maybe something else.
                      How 'bout hitting a note on the top two/three strings, and have a harmonic resonate on any of the bottom three strings in maching pitch. Let's say I am to hit the open E, and have the fifth fret harmonic on the sixth, or the seventh fret on the fifth strings resonate uncontrollably? Gets even worse if it's several strings at once.

That's cheap guitars for ya, but I love that axe anyway.
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

When you think about it, in this digital age of iPhones and such, a guitar is pretty cheap. I mean it's just wood. Which is fine, just dated in my opinion. There have been efforts by Line 6 and even Parker Fly (or whatever they are called) to push digital ideas, and even the graphite acoustics. I guess the carbon fiber washburns, (not to mention gibson's robot :idea count. Do you guys ever think there will a time when we have true digital guitars? I mean with ideas like the robot tuning, combined with like graphite or carbon fiber bodies? That truly make it main stream?

Comment

As a follow-up, we look at our parents televsions (us young uns I mean) and we are amazed at how different they are. And looking back, our guitars are alot better than the originals, but at what point will the guitar market be **revolutionized**?

Comment

When you think about it, in this digital age of iPhones and such, a guitar is pretty cheap. I mean it's just wood. Which is fine, just dated in my opinion. There have been efforts by Line 6 and even Parker Fly (or whatever they are called) to push digital ideas, and even the graphite acoustics. I guess the carbon fiber washburns, (not to mention gibson's robot :idea count. Do you guys ever think there will a time when we have true digital guitars? I mean with ideas like the robot tuning, combined with like graphite or carbon fiber bodies? That truly make it main stream?
                            MIDI's been around for a wee while, I'm sure that'll stick for some time, still. You can count that as truly digital, if ya like. Plus, we've got Guitar Pro anyway, so the truly digital is already here!

The wood thing, that will take decades to phase out in my opinion. The composite materials such as CF are expensive, and yet there's still demand for high end woods, such as Brazilian Rosewood and such. Simply put, the companies of today will keep lining their pockets pushing cheapo stuff and turning a profit, and high end 'boutiqe-y' stuff will be in demand in some circles, that's my prediction. Would I want the composite to go mainstream? Yeah, why not. I'll keep playing with my woodie if I'm in the mood, provided I'm still playing by then, and mix it up with composite. What I really want to see are composite materials replasing conventional truss rods, contrary to just having a composite neck- you retain the sound of the wood, plus your neck doesn't shift due to climate. That'd be pretty conventional

Will digital phase out analogue? Some day, maybe. Provided there's people still playing guitar by then. Myself, I wouldn't mind having improvements made on the old analogue stuff, like construction. My .02
                            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

As a follow-up, we look at our parents televsions (us young uns I mean) and we are amazed at how different they are. And looking back, our guitars are alot better than the originals, but at what point will the guitar market be **revolutionized**?
                              Don't think that will happen overnight as a revolution. For such a thing to happen, you would need some sort of design stalemate followed by a burst of some godly products. Thing is that we're very well acclimated to the introduction of new ideas in the market, and also we are very well acclimated to the weirdness of the market as well. Sure, we had the V and Futura a half a century ago, we had the rise of the 7-string in the 80s, the double locking trem, doublenecks, 8 string basses, active pickups and so on, but none of that really became the norm, changing the instrument permanently. Today, there's so much on offer, anything new doesn't phase people very much. Such advancements as the VG Strat, the Robot Guitar, the Boss GT series (the 10 was kinda neat) and so forth didn't have us shitting bricks and choking on our own saliva.

A revolution of such magnitude couldn't take place for two main reasons, I believe. One, is that whatever we'd cook up would simply be an seen as an improvement of what we have now rather than the new and controvertial standard and secondly, the development of the guitar is an ongoing process. We're inventing new stuff all the time at a steadily increasing pace, but that's what we expect anyway. We can continue to improve, but we can't skip developmental stages and jump straight to making guitars shooting plasma bolts, without figuring out how to make them shoot 7.62x39 first.

Once again, my .02

Comment

Working...
                              X