Attention Board member GRANDTURK - Wiring advice Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Board member GRANDTURK - Wiring advice Model 4

Hey Guys. Ive done the search and found some good info but im still looking for a a wiring diagram for a C/J Model 4. Grandturk or anyone else with this experience, if you see this I want to do basically to my model 4 what you did with your model 4:

:idea:
    Emg 81 humbucker, two no-name active single coils via ebay, one volume, one tone, and use of the 3 individual switches for the pickups. (forget use of a 2nd tone and no afterburner for me just yet!) So what I need is the following:

1. Wiring diagram - Ive been to the seymour duncan site, the emg site, read many of the threads in this forum but Im still a bit confused as I have read contradicting ways to wire the switches. I would appreciate any help and sure wouldnt spit at a hand-drawn diagram!

2. What type of switches (3) should I look for on ebay? :think:

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

You will need 3 spst on/off switches. They simply replace the 3 way in the EMG Diagram. The 81 wires just like an EMG single coil.
    Connect one pole of the three switches together with 20 gauge wire.Connect the 3 switches to the HOT lug of the volume pot.
    Each pickup is hooked up to the remaining pole of its designated switch.
    If you need a better diagram or one that is easier to read send me a pm and I'll send you the file direct.

Comment

try this site

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

Comment

Yup - follow ATD. I used the stock switches from my model 4. Pickups to switches, switches to volume, volume linked to tone, volume out to jack. I also put 18V in my Model 4 - well worth it.

Not sure how "no-name" active pickups will work in the circuit with EMGs, but let us know!
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

You guys rock! Thanks for the quick response and info! I'll let you know what happens!

Comment

ATDGuitars I just sent you a pm...let me know if you dont get it. Thanks.

Comment

One more question guys. What current/voltage rating should the switches be? Im looking at the sub-minature switches on this website:
              http://www.action-electronics.com/switches.htm

THANKS!

Comment

Try these:

http://www.gpdusa.com/Switches-Mini_Switches.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron..._Switches.html
                Blank yo!

Comment

SUH-WEET!!!!! Thanks Grandturk!

Comment

Yet another switch question...Im trying to achieve on/off...I should buy the on/off/on switches like in the links above correct?...just wanted to clarify.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulbiz View Post
                      Yet another switch question...Im trying to achieve on/off...I should buy the on/off/on switches like in the links above correct?...just wanted to clarify.
                      Thanks.
                      No - you want on-on. This confused me as well when I was a kid. It can be used to switch between two signals, or in this case, you will use it to switch between pickup on and ground/off. On-off-on switches are truely "off" in the middle position. You don't want that... well, maybe Newc does...

On/on/on switches would be for switching between two signals or both.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        No - you want on-on. This confused me as well when I was a kid.
                        Hey, you calling me a kid?? LOL!!!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          On-off-on switches are truely "off" in the middle position. You don't want that...
                          I hear that using an EMG with an on/off will explode you and your amp and your guitar, electrocute your family, and burn down your house. Accurate?

I'd kinda worried about using EMGs in my model 4 for that reason. Now that I know they're ON/ON I have nothing to fear.

Comment

Originally posted by scandoslav View Post
                            I hear that using an EMG with an on/off will explode you and your amp and your guitar, electrocute your family, and burn down your house. Accurate?
                            Uh.......
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by EMGTech (from the EMG board)
                              Unfortunately, most mini-toggle switches are not make-before-break types, so I got a very loud pop every time that I used the switch. This would have blown the speaker cones out at a high gain level.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X