Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truss Rod Nut Business (not noobie adjusting question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Nut Business (not noobie adjusting question)

Hi guys, got a lil' question 'ere.

When a trussrod gains relief naturally, will the nut loosen as the rod does that? As in, if I crank the nut to the end, as far as the bugger can go, will there be clearance after the neck gains relief? This is assuming it's a proper working double action truss rod.

Got this mild panic after an idea popped into my head that after adjusting cranking it up a half turn every so often, I'll run into the limit and be as we say, 'fucked', unable to straighten it any more. What've you guys got to say 'bout this?
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

nut shouldn't move, and depending on the type of truss rod you have, yes, you could presumably run out of real estate.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've never seen a truss rod run out of room. If your cranking clockwise effectively taking out concavity and run out of threads, you could stack washers with an I.D. that will go over the rod and be no larger that the O.D. of the nut. This will give you some thread back. If you run out of thread to correct backbow, it's time for a new rod.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Seen it a few times...

The truss rod nut bottoming out is a more common problem than you would think, but yes, it is simple enough to add a few washers onto the rod to re-claim some thread. I dont think you need worry about having to "keep giving it half a turn every so often". Once it's set, it should require very little adjustment after that. Ive had guitars come back for servicing over a period of many years and the rod rarely needs readjusting from the original adjustment I made as much as 20 years before. You are more likely to need a tiny "tweak" as the seasons change more than the actual passage of time.
        Simon.
        sglguitars.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X