A few issues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few issues..

Okay, so my first assumption is that my bridge on my Soloist Pro is shot. On my high E string, recently if I setup my intonation, if I did a big bend or something the string would loose all tention and the saddle would be moved back (<-- that way) as if I never intonation it. My friend who happens to be a luthier said it might be a screw and he replaced it for me. Now I'm still getting the issue but the intonation isn't going out, it's just losing all tention causing me to unlock the nut and tune up again. The guitar doesn't like to stay in tune much and I'm really convinced it's because the bridge is old as hell. It's a Jackson Schaller bridge.

Any suggestions or advice guys?
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Check the nut and make sure the lock plate is not worn out.
    They can get grooved pretty bad over time.

Sounds like it's slipping.
    -Rick

Comment

This being the lock plate?

The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Yep... and it looks pretty trashed in that pic.
        -Rick

Comment

If the saddle is moving it's not the nut, it's the saddle's intonation set screw. The hole may be stripped out or the top of the saddle may be worn to the point that the screw gets tight without actually clamping down on the saddle.

Best solution is to replace the trem with a Schaller.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Keep reading Newc... he was able to stop the saddle from moving.
            -Rick

Comment

Right, before hand the intonation was moving drastically, and I think it was still slipping a little.

So a whole new bridge? Not just a few pieces?

And thank you guys for your help btw.

Comment

If the saddle is no longer slipping, you don't need a new bridge.
                The lock nut appears to be pretty worn though.
                Replacements are fairly cheap.
                -Rick

Comment

If the saddle is still slipping, check out this for a possibly cheap fix:

I went to "Fastenal", a local place with tons of screws, bolts, etc. I bought the same screws(they had the EXACT ones in stock), only slightly longer, and some nuts to go on the ends. Fix the nuts on the underside of the baseplate with some strong adhesive, and problem solved. Now, the intonation screws catch in the nut hidden underneath, and not in the stripped holes. It was a cheap fix, something like a couple of dollars.
                  Thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97705

Comment

However, if the hole for the screw is stripped, you need a new baseplate. AFAIK, you can't buy Schaller or OFR baseplates new.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Schaller baseplates are available and are around 30$ New ones have reinforced screw inserts.

Comment

After a few days I noticed the saddle had completely returned (<--- that way). So I guess it is the saddle.

I'm thinking of just replacing the whole damn bridge eventually. Fuck floyds.

Comment

It's mots likely the base plate is stripped as stated above. You can either replace just the base plate ($30), replace the whole trem ($180?). or get those longer screws with the nuts that go under neath the base plate ("a few dollars"). You decide.
                          You could even try rethreading the screw holes for new set screws. Just an additional thought.
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X