X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller locking nut for a Charvel Model 6

Hello everybody.
    It's been a while since I posted here last time
    I'm looking for an advice. I've got a Charvel Model6 with Kahler tremolo and Kahler 5514 stringlock + graphite nut.
    I'd like to put onto it a locking nut either a Schaller or an OFR one. I'd like to buy the top mounting version (someone told me there are 2 different versions, I really can't find any matches about it on the web though). Is it you just use 2 screws from top to fix it instead of drilling the poor guitar?

Plus, I need an advice 'bout the size. I read over that R4 sizes may let the high E string skip out of the freatboard. Maybe a R3 sized would be better?
    I found guitarpartsdepot and warmoth sells them (28,50$ vs. 40$, wth?). Have anyone tried the actual quality of those?

Thanks, cheers

p.s. I am from Italy. If you know an online shop which ships from EU it would be definitly better (it'd be avoiding customs and so on)
    Last edited by Fix_Metal; 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM.

An R3 would be the best choice for a Model 6. Putting a locknut on one of these tilt-back headstocks is not a simple procedure. To do it correctly, you need to create a shelf for the locknut using a wedge-shaped piece of hardwood or other stable material.

Comment

As DG stated, you will need to make a nut shelf for it.
      I had to do this on my 5A.
      I used a scrap piece of Alder to make the shelf.
      Took a couple of fittings to get it just right.

Last edited by rjohnstone; 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM.
      -Rick

Comment

Rick could I get a side-profile shot of that shelf? I'm doing the same thing and it would help me visualize it a bit.

Comment

Sure thing... the red line indicates the headstock angle.
          You have to make a wedge with a really fine edge. I used a little wood putty to blend the edges into the headstock.

-Rick

Comment

Well then, I'll go on a R3 size, thanks!
            Are those from guitardepot godd enough anyway?
            And btw, can I mount those with top 2 screws?

Comment

I just found this http://www.axcessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=axfrnbR3 which seem to be original.
              Is it too cheap to be true?

Comment

Originally posted by Fix_Metal View Post
                I just found this http://www.axcessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=axfrnbR3 which seem to be original.
                Is it too cheap to be true?
                It's real. Good price too.
                -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the tip:idea:

Comment

Thanks for the pic. Would something like delrin or another plastic (say stacked and cut Kahler shims) work in the place of wood?

Comment

That would work equally well, but you have to glue or bond the wedge to the face of the headstock, otherwise it will try to squeeze itself out of the gap when you tighten the screws.

Comment

Working...
                      X