LSR Roller Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSR Roller Nut

Thinking of putting one of these on a Strat project. How effective are these and how difficult are they to install ? Just screw them in ? Any mod required on the neck ?

You have to cut the nut slot into a shelf. It actually sits a bit closer to the first fret than a regular nut. You will need a router and be really precise with your measurements. Follow the directions that come with it to the letter and it will be problem free. There is really no margin for error on these. Also the hole size is critical on the mounting screws. Use the recommended drill bit or it will either work loose if its too big or will strip the head on the screws if its too small.
    I'd honestly recommend having it done by a pro rather than risk screwing up a neck.
    If you don't like it when its done it's a PITA to put back to a regular nut.

Comment

I've messed up a good neck trying to install one of these myself.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
        You have to cut the nut slot into a shelf. It actually sits a bit closer to the first fret than a regular nut. You will need a router and be really precise with your measurements. Follow the directions that come with it to the letter and it will be problem free. There is really no margin for error on these. Also the hole size is critical on the mounting screws. Use the recommended drill bit or it will either work loose if its too big or will strip the head on the screws if its too small.
        I'd honestly recommend having it done by a pro rather than risk screwing up a neck.
        If you don't like it when its done it's a PITA to put back to a regular nut.
        +1
        They are excellent and maintenance free. I have 4 guitars with the LSR's on them. Good enough for Jeff Beck, good enough for me.

Add a set of locking tuners and your in business.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
          They are excellent and maintenance free. I have 4 guitars with the LSR's on them. Good enough for Jeff Beck, good enough for me.
          I was actually going to say the opposite - not really worth the effort as you can get the same tuning stability from a properly setup nut.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Lot easier to just put on a Graphtech, Tusq, bone, etc nut. Why are you replacing it? Or new project?
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

This is for a new project and the new neck will arrive without a nut so I thought about trying an LSR roller. Dont own a router and and not a fan of woodworking, so I think i will probably stick with a bone nut. On that note, are brass nuts much better than bone nuts ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Shreds_A_Lot View Post
                On that note, are brass nuts much better than bone nuts ??
                Better? There's no such thing as better.

They are different however. Mostly in the tone department. A lot of people feel that brass offers a brighter tone and increases sustain (of open strings). Bone is a more vintage-y material, so a lot of old timers believe that it has a warm and organic sound.

Myself, I've only used (for any length of time) synthetic bone, tusq, graphtech and plastic. Damned if I could hear a difference.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I had a 77 Strat that had been modified for a kahler by a previous owner(Yeah...that's what I said...) back in the early 80's when even unmodified you could buy em cheap. I'd had that hideous kahler lever lock thing behind the nut. When the LSR's came out years later, I tried to install one and cracked the neck. If you don't have the confidence and skills, it might be worth hiring out. Just the neck off of that 77 in the very good shape it was in is worth enough to make me sick.
                  My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                  Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

The only thing I have run into on the LSR nuts is after a while the ball bearings pit and start to rust then they are hell to deal with.They tend to collect dirt and need a cleaning frequently.
                    Keep it free of grit and dust and lube lightly and it should last.
                    Speaking personally I wouldn't bother with one and go with a bone nut.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Myself, I've only used (for any length of time) synthetic bone, tusq, graphtech and plastic. Damned if I could hear a difference.
                      +1... I changed to the Tusq and didn't really see a noticabale difference from the plastic. But now I can say I have a Tusq nut. And also the spiritual oneness that I'll recieve on my death bed. So I got that going for me. Which is nice!!
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Basically sounds like a PITA to install the roller nut if you havent done it before, so I'll be sticking with a bone nut for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X