Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings

This was mentioned in the one string thread, but not answered completely to my satisfaction.

I have INSANELY acidic sweat, so much that certain string brands are rusty in like a day. I have now decided to throw tone and playability under the bus, because the sweat is now unbearable. Which brand has the best durability (specifically to sweat). I haven't tried these, but I remember there was one brand and I think the strings were like frozen (the label was blue) and I think they were rated as lasting a long time.

**Disclaimer** For the purposes of this thread, feel and tone are NOT factors. **Disclaimer**

(sometimes things need to be spelled out)
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

I thought you toxic sweaters were supposed to play coated strings?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I thought I was a bad sweater.
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

DR strings last pretty long without corroding. Though, you should wipe down your strings after you're done playing. Using lemon oil or WD40 on them will also help.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used DR strings for awhile, but got a big box of d'addario's after gc sent me a 2 broken vypyrs in the mail. Does that mean they are coated? (I think the slogan might be "The original Coated String" anyways.) Strings were something I always neglected actually. But I do like DR. But I should search for that one blue brand though.
          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Found them, Dean Markley Blue Steel. -320 degrees liquid nitrogen (doesn't say F or C :think

Comment

I feel like an idiot for responding to my own post so many times, but I had a retro moment. I used to put black beauties on my explorer, like 3 years ago, and those lasted forever, plus the color was an indication of the life. Those are pefect. With a combination of those and wiping them down, problem solved.:idea: Are the DR painted strings what you meant by Coated strings?

Comment

You could try out some Elixirs, they have nanoweb or polyweb coating that prevents against rust and the like, I don't have any experience with them though so I cant comment on their life expectancy, but I've heard good things about them.

Comment

ya i dont know what he ment by coated either, because im pretty shure all elctric guitar strings are nickle coated.

Comment

Originally posted by RR666 View Post
                    ya i dont know what he ment by coated either, because im pretty shure all elctric guitar strings are nickle coated.
                    No, normal strings can be steel that are plated with nickel or they can be pure nickel or pure stainless steel. Pure nickel will sound warmer and pure stainless steel will sound brighter.
                    When talking of "coated" strings, they've got some kind of coating on them to prevent rust; like Elixirs are available in two different coatings for a different sound and feel. http://www.elixirstrings.com/home_faq_difference.html
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                      -320 degrees liquid nitrogen (doesn't say F or C :think
                      Most likely fahrenheit because -237,15°C is 0K (the absolute zero) .

Comment

Yeah, I would suggest the DR coated strings. I used D'Addario strings for over 20 years and once I tried the coated DR's (Black Beaty's Peacock Blue, etc.) I was hooked. I hate having stinky nickel fingers after I'm done playing.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Coated strings:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...+strings&Nty=1

They all have some goop on them that prevents them from "dying." They usually cost about twice as much as a regular pair of strings.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I think I may try elixirs now though. Because I play way more than I did back then. And even then, those were the only strings I had ever broken. I think I broke the e on every pair I have used, but only those black beauties. In fact a different pair of dr's (regular tite fits) actually sliced off a piece of the nut on my explorer. Like I hit a big bend, and it sliced part of the nut off. Which is a shame because I liked DR strings...

I just looked at the elixirs, and in 9-42, they have nano and poly web? What's the difference?
                            Third Edit: It says the nano is a shrunken down polyweb that sounds brighter.
                            Last edited by Jacksonguy666; 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

If you go DR coated, may I suggest the RaInBoW colored strings?

Taste the rainbow, baby. :P
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X