Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "JB" and "TB-4" stand for?

Pretty simple question.

I've seen that the JB means "Jeff Beck," and I've also seen that it's "Jazz/Blues." Is it either of those things?

And I'm aware of the fact that "TB" is TremBucker, but what is the 4 for? Did they have 3 unsuccessful TremBucker attempts before this one? LOL

The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a JB TB4 to put in this project guitar that I'm working on. I was trying to find the same pickup that's in my SL1 (I love it), and then I was confused by the acronyms...mostly the "4." That's it. I ordered one already, but I'm curious.

Thanks,
    Jay.

I can't tell you what it means, BUT i do know as I learned from Martinbarrel1 here that the 4-5-6 are a family so they are sequential. Their sounds are pretty similar, but tweaked slightly for different needs and guitars.
    I own the TB-5, and I can say its similar to the TB-6 and TB-4 that I tried.

I want to know what JB stands for too! But I think you're on the right track!
    Equipment
    -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
    -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
    -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

LOL. Oh, Great! So there's 6 of them? Haha. What about TBs 1-3?

I've actually never seen or heard of anything but a TB4. That's why I was wondering why it wasn't just called a "TB," if it was the only one. Now I know (sort of).

Thanks for the reply!
      Jay.

Comment

I believe they're just reference numbers for various models of pickups.

For example:

Duncan JB = SH-4 or TB-4
        Duncan Custom = SH-5 or TB-5
        Duncan Distortion = SH-6 or TB-6
        Duncan Invader = SH-8
        Duncan Jazz = SH-2

Comment

Really?

So I could just say "TB4," and that would imply that it's a JB? hmmm.... That makes sense, but it also doesn't.

When I was buying the pickup, there were no other options for TB5 or TB6, so maybe you're right.

If this is the case, then I don't agree. I think it should be JB...and then either HB or TB. I'm just sayin'.

Thanks,
          Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolJay View Post
            Really?

So I could just say "TB4," and that would imply that it's a JB? hmmm.... That makes sense, but it also doesn't.

When I was buying the pickup, there were no other options for TB5 or TB6, so maybe you're right.

If this is the case, then I don't agree. I think it should be JB...and then either HB or TB. I'm just sayin'.

Thanks,
            Jay.
            Yes, if you order a TB-4 you'll be getting a trem spaced JB.

It is kind of confusing, and their numbering system doesn't make a whole lot of sense as it is. But *shrug* that's how they do it.

Comment

The JB does stand for Jeff Beck, as he's the one that it was first made for. I think they just say Jazz/Blues because Jeff is not an endorsee.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the jb is an all round pickup suits all my needs lol

Comment

Some light reading for you...
                  http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ric/humbucker/

They're model numbers, not "version numbers".
                  TB = trem spaced variant.
                  -Rick

Comment

The model numbers make no sense... Just when you think you've got it figured out, along comes the SH-1 '59 with it's trembucker version, the TB59-1b. Plus there are sometimes neck and bridge versions, like the SH-1N and SH1B.

There will be a "common name" of the pickup like the "JB" or "Jazz" and then there may be a neck and bridge version (JB is only available in a bridge version, but the SH-1 "'59" and SH-2 "Jazz" are available for neck or bridge) which is usually like SH-2B and SH-2N and then sometimes, but not always, there is a Trembucker version for the bridge which is TB-(same number as the standard humbucker).

But wait, there's more!

There are Stacks, Duckbuckers, Hot Rails, Cool Rails, Antiquity, Live Wires, Blackouts, Soapbars, ... Sometimes there's a single-coil size version of a humbucker like the SJBJ-1 which is a "Little JB" - hey how come that isn't the SJBJ-4? And even more, why a number at all? Why not the SJBJ? Are they going to make more "little JB" versions?

I dunno, ask Seymour. :dunno:

Comment

My username isn't MartinBarrel1 FFS!!!

See why I asked for a name change Joe?
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

At least you're not "Fatpicker"

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                          My username isn't MartinBarrel1 FFS!!!

See why I asked for a name change Joe?
                          Oh sorry bro! I was going by "memory" and I guess my brain added a digit
                          Equipment
                          -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
                          -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
                          -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

You're not the first person to think I'm Martin Barrell, I did ask for a name change but never got a reply.
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The SD model numbers are SH-? the letters stand for Seymour humbucker. The number part is the order of the pickup in its development. (ie SH-1 is the first pup Seymour developed. As is the Sh2 the second one he developed. The singles would be SSL1 meaning seymour single. And the one being the first single he developed.
                              Not exactly sure how perfectly accurate that is but that's what i've heard from several sources. So the "JB" is the SH-4 the trem bucker version is the TB-4. The trembucker versin alignes the poles under the pup better on a Floyd Rose trem. Vs that of say a fender or a Gibson non trem guitar.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X