Can PS-4 sound as good as DK-1 or 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can PS-4 sound as good as DK-1 or 2?

I recently acquired a PS-4 and like the way it plays and looks, but it does not have a great plugged in tone.Everything is stock. If I replaced the pups and controls and installed an OFR or at least a JT-580, and if needed, had fret detailing done, will the tone be really discernible from a higher end model? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated! ...Also, any stories on a JT-500 to OFR swap. At a casual glance it looks like the pivot posts on the JT- 500 are just a hair closer than the Floyd.. Thanks guys

i did pretyy much all those mods to my old ps-4, never had the honor of playing a DK1 but my PS-4 was very well built and played like a fisrt class instrument in my opionion, it was an earier japan manufacturer

Comment

Quality of wood does factor minimally into the amplified tone. There's no way the PS-4 could have been made with wood of equal quality to the USA DK-1. To presume so is lunacy.

If you put top-brand pickups and an OFR on the PS-4 it will not be equal to a DK-1. A DK-2 maybe, as long as your PS-4 was made in Japan, where the only difference between the Professional and Performer models were hardware and cosmetics (inlays, binding, etc).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought my jdr94(same as ps4) had great tone but needed more output from the jackson pickups. I would look at a jt590 or the schaller trem though since the 500 was a copy of it. I don't think the jt580 will fit the base plate is too big. I'm not sure of the ofr, the block maybe too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Quality of wood does factor minimally into the amplified tone. There's no way the PS-4 could have been made with wood of equal quality to the USA DK-1. To presume so is lunacy.

If you put top-brand pickups and an OFR on the PS-4 it will not be equal to a DK-1. A DK-2 maybe, as long as your PS-4 was made in Japan, where the only difference between the Professional and Performer models were hardware and cosmetics (inlays, binding, etc).
          I agree, maybe a DK2 but not a DK1. DK1 may look like a DK2 but it's built completely different. The PS4 = Stealth with a Hum in the bridge versus a Single...I think...

joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com
          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
            I agree, maybe a DK2 but not a DK1. DK1 may look like a DK2 but it's built completely different. The PS4 = Stealth with a Hum in the bridge versus a Single...I think...

joe...
            ps-4 is nothing like a stealth XL has an ash body h-s-s. but ps-4 are great guitars! thin necks and yes changing pickups will improve the tone as it would in any guitar. jt-580 no no schaller why bother? But pickups good start

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
              ps-4 is nothing like a stealth XL has an ash body h-s-s. but ps-4 are great guitars! thin necks and yes changing pickups will improve the tone as it would in any guitar. jt-580 no no schaller why bother? But pickups good start
              Your blue PS-4 has a pretty decent grain on it. I have the black and I also find the fast thin neck very good.I'm fitting a OFR and new electronics and maybe a mini toggle or 2. I think she'll be a screamer and a keeper!

Comment

huh?
                Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Working...
                X