Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller R2 or Gotoh

Hello All,
    Just got myself a Fusion HH Professional, already own a Fusion Pro but always fancied a HH to compare the Mahogany body for tonality and have the double Humbucker option. Couldn't believe it when I got one for £160 and also got a Kelly (not sure what model, it's the one with the Seymour designed pups) and a Aria bass chucked in too - Well chuffed! Guy was a true gem, said he had just moved on from the whole Music thing and wanted to leave all the gigging behind him and move on with his life.

The Fusion requires a replacement nut as one of the threads is rounded, so the bolt will not bite when locking the strings. Having scanned the forum for previous information/posts, I believe I have got two options... (1) Replace like for like with a Schaller R2 (43mm), or (2) Fit a Gotoh GHL1B (http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Goto..._MOUNT_CK.html).

Really struggling to find a Schaller on line, but seem to be able to find the Gotoh okay.
    PLEASE correct me if wrong, with the exception of slightly misaligned mounting screw holes (http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pub/files/p...042346_GHL.pdf), will the Gotoh be the the same height, string spacing, etc. as the original? A

Thanks in advance

I'd personally stick with the Schaller to be sure. Heights vary among manufacturers. I think Rockinger will ship to the UK:

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...F1630S%2F1630G

Comment

One thing I found on my Pacer Carrera was that the GOTOH thru the neck bolts were too short to make it all the way to the nut. Bagged it & threw it in the parts drawer, got the Schaller, no problem.

With the thin neck & top mount on the Fusion that won't be an issue for you, but I'm throwing it in here for future board searches.

Not sure if Warmoth will ship to the UK (I assume they will but not sure what shipping would be) but they have em.

Comment

Well.... What bridge does the Fusion HH in question have on it? Mine has a Takeuchi JT580LP, NOT a Jackson-branded Schaller. As a result, it uses the cheapie thinner (thinner than the Schaller/Floyd Rose) "import" lock nut. This is exactly the same part (aside from color) as what was on my '96 SL2 which also has the Takeuchi low-profile tremolo.

The Schaller lock nut is the Floyd Rose lock nut.

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Part...king_Nuts.html

If your HH has the Takeuchi tremolo and thin lock nut, either the generic "import" lock nut (available from Guitar Parts Depot under "licensed Floyd Rose" or the Gotoh might fit without modification.

I really do not know if these are the same or not.

If you want to use the Schaller/Floyd Rose lock nut, the mounting holes will be more than "a little" off and the nut will be about 1 mm or so too high, which you can take care of with a good metal file or a bench grinder (better to ruin a $25 lock nut than an almost-irreplaceable neck IMO).

Comment

Thank you for you responses- Appreciated.

Yeah, the bridge on the HH is a Takeuchi JT580LP. This sheds some light on why when measured the existing nut is a few mm under the measurements given on the 'Schaller' website.
          Great to know that a cheaper Generic licensed Floyd Rose Import or a Gotoh may fit without modification - Think I will give one a go.

Still a little confused over the R2, R3, R4 sizing though?
          Originally thought I would require a R2, but subsequently found out these are on 42mm - So must be either a R3 or R4? :think:

I believe the R3 has slightly narrower string spacing to allow for neck binding and the R4 wider spacing for non-binding. The HH has binding, but when I compared the spacing on the original ut to the Schaller measurements, it was closer to a R4????

Please can anyone advise which will be correct?

Comment

You're correct, if the neck is 1 11/16" nut this calls for either an R3 (narrow spacing) or R4 (wide spacing).

I used an R3 Floyd nut on my SL2 in place of the stock Takeuchi, that's what most Jacksons/Charvels I've worked with come with, when they use a Floyd nut (Soloists, DK1's, etc.) and I prefer the narrow string spacing so the strings aren't so close to the edge of the fingerboard.

I'm not sure I understand the last question "which will be correct" - if you get a Schaller/Floyd nut you can use the R3 or the R4 but you ARE going to have to re-do the mounting holes either way, as well as either reducing the nut in height by 1 mm or so, or having the neck re-routed and drilled by a luthier.

If you are going with an "import" nut I think it's kind of a crap-shoot. When I was researching where to BUY a replacement nut for my SL2/Fusion HH, I found on there that several people bought E-bay, Guitarpartsdepot, and Allparts "import" nuts and found them all to be a little different than the original nut. That's why I just modified mine for a Floyd nut, that way if I need a replacement (which is unlikely, since it's machined tool steel instead of crappy cast steel like the import nuts) I can just buy another R3 and grind it down 1mm and bolt it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Magou View Post
              Thank you for you responses- Appreciated.

Yeah, the bridge on the HH is a Takeuchi JT580LP. This sheds some light on why when measured the existing nut is a few mm under the measurements given on the 'Schaller' website.
              Great to know that a cheaper Generic licensed Floyd Rose Import or a Gotoh may fit without modification - Think I will give one a go.

Still a little confused over the R2, R3, R4 sizing though?
              Originally thought I would require a R2, but subsequently found out these are on 42mm - So must be either a R3 or R4? :think:

I believe the R3 has slightly narrower string spacing to allow for neck binding and the R4 wider spacing for non-binding. The HH has binding, but when I compared the spacing on the original ut to the Schaller measurements, it was closer to a R4????

Please can anyone advise which will be correct?
              Magou did you get this sorted in the end? I have the same problem.
              www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Working...
              X