Pickups for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for metal?

Whether you've got a Jackson or any other kind of guitar, what kind of pickups would you use for getting a metal rhythm tone? I lean toward passive myself because the things I've heard about actives aren't too great. Too trebly and compressed and I hear passives can give you a more organic and natural sound.

So if you had to choose passive pickups, would you choose Seymour Duncans for metal, or Dimarzio? Or do you prefer actives over everything for metal? I have Dimarzios myself and something's telling me that Seymour Duncans are better-suited for metal. There's this crunchiness and brightness that I remember getting from a Duncan compared to a Dimarzio...

I used emgs a while then went to duncans. Tried dimarzios too and recently bought a dk1 with emgs. Now Im back to emgs I forgot how metal sounding they are. Changing pups in my others back to emgs. For metal emg is the clear winner for me.

Comment

If it's just for metal rythm, the Duncan Invader is great. Generally I like the Duncan Distortion or JB though.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

EMG 85 is a great metal rhythm sound.

The Duncan JB works in the right guitar, too.

Also the Duncan Custom and Custom Custom, depending on the guitar.

Comment

EMG. No contest.
          Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Can't go wrong with EMG's either 85 or 81 both are great.

Duncan has a few options, invader , distortion , custom, alt8, and JB in the right guitar, even the PAT2 is great i hear.

Dimarzio's main metal pickup is the X2N but they also have some other cool choices like d activators , super distortions, super 3 and the new crunch lab sounds awesome.

everyone is going to give you a different answer pickups are all about personal taste and the guitar you're going to put them in , good luck

Comment

I use Duncan Distortions in all my guitars. Never been happier!
              2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
              2007 DK2m White Bengal
              88 Jackson limited edition
              Charvel Preditor
              PS-3T Rhoads Performer
              Jackson DX10D
              3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
              4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
              Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
              Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

DiMarzio X2N

Comment

A choice in pickups for metal is a huge variance and it depends on what type of gear your running it through and the type of guitar, woods etc. On A neutral playing field I prefer the EMG's, 81 and 85. They present a blank canvas or palate so to speak and are very articulate and clear. I use my amp and effects to get the rest. Both Duncan's and Dimarzio's are great also and each on has their own tone characteristcs depending on the guitar your installing them in. I have many guitars with Duncans and DiMarzios is them, and most of the models they make.

Probably the most popular Duncan is the JB and most likely why they are on so many Jackson guitars. Most likely the most recorded DiMarzio would be the Super Distortion.
                  Last edited by Bengal65; 08-02-2009, 03:50 PM.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i use duncan livewire mustaines but i play a whole step down so the treble kinda helps depends on the guitar in my basswood rx10d i got a dimebucker that thing screams sounds similar to a emg 81 in my guitar at least

Comment

How does an 85 compare to an 81 in the bridge position? I'm thinking of an 85 and 60 config.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Depends on what sort of metal you're playing.

I'd say for the 80's rock/metal the Tone Zone cannot be beat.

For death metal and other sorts of extreme metal the X2N cannot be beat

But if you want a completely neutered and sterile tone, the EMG cannot be beat.
                        Originally posted by horns666
                        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

IMO..It doesn't really matter how metal a pickup sounds...but how metal you sound!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well being as I use a Boss GT-10 and no amp, I figured the EMG's would be my best bet. I'm still wondering whether Duncans Blackouts would be a good substitute.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                              But if you want a completely neutered and sterile tone, the EMG cannot be beat.
                              :ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X