No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan 59 or Jazz in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 59 or Jazz in the neck?

Which do you guys prefer?
    I have a promod coming today and a 2005 copperhead charvel body so I am going to have both pickups Which would you use?
    please no write-ins, there is no C.

Is there a D maybe? Can we negotiate for the C? I think the people really need a choice here. By not allowing a third choice you are disenfranchising a lot potential subjective opinions of people that have the right to be heard.

Will the neck be coil tapped or the phase inverted by multiple toggle switches that would confuse even Mr Sulu? What bridge pickup will you be using? Will it be tapped and phase inverted?
    Are you going to series wire or parallel wire the coils or possibly use the center position on the 400way super switch to invert the north pole of the Neck pickup out of phase with the south pole of the bridge pickup? What color is the guitar?
    Will you be running this through a solid state or tube amp? Whats the capacitance of the cable you will be running it through? What color screws will you be using to mount the pickup ring?

I vote Jazz unless of course the 59 sounds better through a Silvertone amp in the case overdriven with a First act Distortion pedal.

Comment

</threadkill>

Comment

59. The Jazz is ok but way weak IMO. If you've got massive clean boost that switches on automatically when you switch to the neck pickup, or can switch to the neck automatically when you kick to the clean channel (and have the massive clean boost), then the Jazz is the way to go. Nice sparkling cleans with no bothersome balls.

Sounds ok distorted, but if you want to use the neck for cleans and be heard, get the 59 and wire it for Parallel operation.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I personally don't like the Jazz sound at all, so I'd go for a '59 out of those two choices.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I vote jazz.

Comment

Never had the Jazz, but the 59n in my SL2H sounds good to me. I don't think I'd want any lower output.

Comment

I can vouch that the '59 sounds killer in poplar, which is very similar to alder.

Comment

Has anyone suggested EMG's yet?

Um, I really like the '59 better of the two, more versatile. I really only use the neck pickup for cleans and occasionally for lead (never distorted rhythm) so I could use either and deal with the weak output of the Jazz or just drop the clean channel's preamp gain and re-EQ a little with the '59, which also has a great clean tone.

But then again, the Jazz is great if you want a low output pickup with a nice clean tone. It just isn't a very "fun" pickup. It's the kind of pickup that wants to clean up it's room first thing Saturday morning instead of watching cartoons. It's the kind of pickup that says "I'm going to wait until I'm married" and MEANS IT. It's the kind of pickup that would never consider dating two chicks at the same time, let alone feel both of those chicks out to see if maybe they'd be into a three-way.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    It just isn't a very "fun" pickup. It's the kind of pickup that wants to clean up it's room first thing Saturday morning instead of watching cartoons. It's the kind of pickup that says "I'm going to wait until I'm married" and MEANS IT. It's the kind of pickup that would never consider dating two chicks at the same time, let alone feel both of those chicks out to see if maybe they'd be into a three-way.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

It depends what you want to do with it. The Jazz has a nicer clean tone, and it's decent for metal soloing. The 59 isn't so good for cleans, it's a bit boomy, but it's great for soloing.
                      I have both and I prefer the 59, but I wouldn't change the Jazz for another 59, its nice to have a little variation.

I've never tried splitting a 59 neck (I don't think I have anyway) but the Jazz splits well and the Distortion neck does too so I'd imagine the 59 will. In a two humbucker guitar I think it's always worthwhile splitting both pickups,the clean tones in the middle position are much better that way.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                        I've never tried splitting a 59 neck (I don't think I have anyway) but the Jazz splits well and the Distortion neck does too so I'd imagine the 59 will. In a two humbucker guitar I think it's always worthwhile splitting both pickups,the clean tones in the middle position are much better that way.
                        Get a Dimarzio EP1111 3 way (it will fit with the right washer in the SD body) and you have a coil from each pickup when the switch is in it's middle position.

FWIW, I thought that '59 sounded good in that guitar (when it was whole).

Comment

Of the two, I'd say 59 definitely. Not a fan of the Jazz. But, if you're open to other options, consider a Pearly Gates.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            Get a Dimarzio EP1111 3 way (it will fit with the right washer in the SD body) and you have a coil from each pickup when the switch is in it's middle position.
                            That's the "Petrucci" switch. I put one of those in my Carvin... love it!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              59. The Jazz is ok but way weak IMO. If you've got massive clean boost that switches on automatically when you switch to the neck pickup, or can switch to the neck automatically when you kick to the clean channel (and have the massive clean boost), then the Jazz is the way to go. Nice sparkling cleans with no bothersome balls.

Sounds ok distorted, but if you want to use the neck for cleans and be heard, get the 59 and wire it for Parallel operation.
                              The Jazz isn't that much weaker than a '59. It's a tiny bit cleaner and brighter sounding. I really like both.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X