stripped neck screw(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped neck screw(s)

I know you can drill, dowel, and re-drill a new hole for a stripped out neck screw hole but has anyone tried one of these type of insert kits? http://cgi.ebay.com/WBS-Guitar-Bass-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Seems like it'd stop the worry of stripping again. What do you think?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Looks similar to a helicoil used on metal for similar problems.

Comment

I work in a jet engine shop and we use helicoils and keenserts (basically a solid threaded insert instead of a coil) all the time. I found another one on ebay that has steel inserts that use the same size tap we use for the keenserts. I think I'm gonna try the ones we have here. Nice to work here sometimes.. lol

Comment

Neat, but if the holes are stripped already.....

Threaded inserts with grooves on the outside like trem inserts and machine screws work great as well. Jackson has used that setup over the years on a few models.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's the same insert you use to install a graphite neck. I'm a Moses Graphite dealer/installer and thats the kit they send with the neck. They work well in wood as well.

Comment

You can get similar inserts and screws (stainless with oval phillips head) at Ace Hardware - it will set you back about $5.00. I believe Fender is using this idea on the new Malmsteen Signature models. For added "safety", I also dab some Devcon 2 part epoxy (also from Ace) to the outer threads of the insert to help insure they stay put. You need to appy a good amount of downward pressure when threading in the inserts. Otherwise, they tend to pull the wood up.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
              I work in a jet engine shop and we use helicoils and keenserts (basically a solid threaded insert instead of a coil) all the time.
              Remind me never to fly again

Comment

Is it the inserts or me that scares you??

Comment

I have used a screw in studs with inner threads on several Ibanez guitars with great success.This looks like a good item to use if the screw holes haven't been fubar'd.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

They don't show the special tool you need to install these in the eBay pic.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't like or use the "special" tools. I use a socket head cap screw of the correct thread and two nuts. I put the two nuts on the screw threads and then wrench them together tightly. I can then use the screw to insert them. Sometimes I have to undo the nuts to prevent the insert form backing out with the screw. I have had many times where the "slot" breaks off using the tools (usually only on brass inserts). I believe you do need the proper tool for keenserts and heli-coils though.

Comment

I have tools for helicoils and keenserts. I tried both in a piece of hardwood with 2 part epoxy and both were pretty easy to pull out. Did one set with the holes tapped and one forcing them to thread in themselves. The outer threads are not deep enough on the ones I have at work. Need deeper (like a drywall ez-anchor but obviously not that extreme). I'll check ace and see what they have before I buy one of these kits.
                        Last edited by warlok; 08-10-2009, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I think you will be better off with the wood inserts from Ace. The threads are much larger than the helicoils or keenserts. Glad to see you are experimenting first before actually going straight to the neck!!!!

Comment

This is too good a neck to mess up. I bought a cheap no-brand body to practice stripping and painting before I move to the Jackson too.. I learned that long ago.. practice, practice, practice.. lol

Comment

Good forstner bit/drill press and hardwood doweling. Not sure on epoxy for that, should be ok. If it's a good press fit might go wood glue. Good luck!
                              www.JerryRobison.com
                              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                              X