Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string gauge

sorry bout the noob question, but here it goes:

i have played all my life on a floyd rose type guitar E standard tunning with 9-42 string guage.

my question is: what's the best gauge for one full step down (d) on a floyd rose type guitar. what would happen if i stay in 9-42 or go to for example 11's in this case.

Id go with 11s
    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Only YOU can answer what is the best. Opinions are common and everyone's an asshole or something like that.

Personally, I'd say 11's tuned down to D. But they'd still feel weird to me.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Only YOU can answer what is the best. Opinions are common and everyone's an asshole or something like that.
        +1

Also, it's not that your guitar has a floyd that's important - it's the scale length. If you have a short scale (24.75" like Fusions or Gibsons) you typically want a larger size than a long Fender scale.

Comment

I use 10-52s for D. No problems whatsoever.
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I typically go by this chart to get the same feel at each tuning. This is all for 25.5" scale. For 24.75", just jump to the next thicker size.

E - 10-46
            Eb - 10-46
            D - 11-49
            Db and below - you're trying to compensate for your riff's lack of heaviness.
            Scott

Comment

If I was going from 9s at standard tuning, I would try 10s for tuning down a whole step.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                I use 10-52s for D. No problems whatsoever.
                Same here

Comment

I've had a guitar tuned down a whole step to D for over 15 years. I use 9's and when I first did this I had to adjust the screws holding the spring claw to level the trem and the trussrod. The trussrod was done in stages over a period of a few months. I haven't had any problems with this setup and it was simple to do.

Comment

If you stick with the "9"s, they'll feel very loose and sloppy tuned to D. I changed one of my Jackson KV2s to D# and the strings were too loose for me. I went to 10-52 like Sinistas mentioned.

Even though I've gone back to standard tuning, I still use the light/heavy combo on all the guitars, regardless of scale length or bridge/tail piece type.

As stated previously, it still comes down to taste. Try tuning down with the "9"s first and see how it feels. Then decide whether to go thicker.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

I don't see why you don't just try it with one set then the other. A set of strings isn't much, and you'll know right away if it feels wrong, and if it does, just put the nest set on, you can always adjust the set up a bit later.

Comment

Originally posted by raullatem View Post
                        sorry bout the noob question, but here it goes:

i have played all my life on a floyd rose type guitar E standard tunning with 9-42 string guage.

my question is: what's the best gauge for one full step down (d) on a floyd rose type guitar. what would happen if i stay in 9-42 or go to for example 11's in this case.

This is what I have used on the 25.5 scaled guitars.

E = 9's
                        Eb = 10's.
                        D = 11's
                        C# = 12's

This keeps the tension near the same ball park.

Comment

I tune 1/2 step down almost exclusively and I use 8-38's on my Strat shaped guitars and 9-42 on my King V's.
                          I also use 9-42's for straight D tuning and C#.

My buddies give me hell and call me a pussy for using such light guages, but I'm just use to it and I get more speed from my playing and my guitars play easier because I'm able to use lower action.

I think Iommi used 8-32, or 8-36 or 38 or something like that.
                          KK Downing used 8-38's as well as alot of other players.

It might be 'better' to go with 10-46 for 'D' or 'C#' but I prefer a loose feel to my guitars.

Remember to set you guitar up when changing tuning and string guage. (Action,neck tension, and intonation)
                          It's mostly personal preference, there's no right or wrong here.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Even though it's nowhere NEAR tony iommi's disability, I have a bit of an issue with my hand, so I can't have really thick strings, so I'm in drop C with 9's. (Iommi also used lighted gauges and downtuning). But I actually like how it feels, shredding like that is really bendy and easy to me like that.
                            I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

I use 9's for standard tuning on a Strat and a hybrid set (10 - 52) for 24 3/4" scale.

I'd use 10's for D. I don't really like using heavy strings, it just tires me out quicker, and I don't have time to play 4+ hours a day anymore, I'm lucky to get an hour in 3 - 5 times a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X