Floyd Rose Creaking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Creaking sound

So I got my new snow white RR1 in the mail yesterday, and have found there to be a fairly loud "creaking" sound during both divebombs and pull-ups. It sounds like it's coming from near the nut somewhere. Is there a quick remedy for this, or is it an issue best left to a guitar tech?

Thanks in advance,
    A.

I had this on my ProMod. It was creaking and not always returning in tune. It seemed that the nut was moving a little, or rocking on its screws. This is what worked for me:

- unlock strings and remove locks
    - Loosen the strings
    - Loosen the screws holding the nut down
    - Give the nut a little wiggle
    - Press the nut forward to the fretboard and tighten down the screws
    - retune, lock

See if that works.

FWIW - it did this when I first bought it, and I fixed it with this method. Then I changed out the hardware for chrome and it did it again, and the fix worked. Maybe it was some kind of wood compression thing???
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Anatar View Post
      So I got my new snow white RR1 in the mail yesterday, and have found there to be a fairly loud "creaking" sound during both divebombs and pull-ups. It sounds like it's coming from near the nut somewhere. Is there a quick remedy for this, or is it an issue best left to a guitar tech?

Thanks in advance,
      A.
      It's haunted and you need to send it to Bill Z for an exorcism.
      In all honesty what Grandturk said should fix it. I see a lot of FR nuts that do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
        It's haunted and you need to send it to Bill Z for an exorcism.
        In all honesty what Grandturk said should fix it. I see a lot of FR nuts that do the same thing.
        Its funny - I've never had this until recently. And never on a through-neck floyd nut mount.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Also check to make sure it isn't your trem springs. Some foam under them will take care of those creaks.

Comment

I loosened the locking plates, or whatever they are called, and re-snugged them. Seems to have fixed the creaking- now I just need to figure out how tightly I can crank down on the locking nuts to keep it in tune.

Thanks again for the responses!
            A.

Comment

Originally posted by Anatar View Post
              I loosened the locking plates, or whatever they are called, and re-snugged them. Seems to have fixed the creaking- now I just need to figure out how tightly I can crank down on the locking nuts to keep it in tune.

Thanks again for the responses!
              A.
              You shouldn't have to crank down the locks. Snug should be good enough. Over tightening will gouge the string into the lock plate and then it will wear and fail to hold the string.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Its funny - I've never had this until recently. And never on a through-neck floyd nut mount.
                Me either on the through neck. It's the top mounts that give you fits. The screws aren't big enough to really bite into the wood and hold them firmly.
                I've done some with emg pickup size brass inserts into the neck and had them hold with no problems. It's as much work as a through neck though and really a PITA.

Comment

I had a top-mount nut giving me fits one one of my Pro models. I had it cranked down as tight as I could and it would still rock/creak. I removed the nut and found little folded sandpaper shims and that the nut mounting screws had a raised "ring" around them.

Obviously this was not a very stable/solid shelf for the nut, even with it cranked down "good and tight."

I carefully trimmed the ring off with a razor blade and replaced the sandpaper with an aluminum shim.

Comment

Working...
                  X