Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck comparison?

Hi all -

Don't know if this belongs here but....what are the differences between the necks on the charvel production models and the jackson dk2m models? Based on the specs they seem to be very similar. Looking for personal experience from people who have tried/owned both models....

thanks in advance,

jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

I own a ProMod. I've played a DK2M, but honestly not long enough to remember specifics of the neck. From memory, the DK2m felt like a traditional Jackson neck. Thin, wide, square shoulders (fretboard edges). From the Jacksons I've played and owned, they shared a typical wide-square feel.

The Charvel neck, while the same width, has a chunkier back feel - it fills the hang more. And has very rounded, rolled fretboard edges. This contributes, to me, to a broken in strat neck feel. In the hand, it doesn't feel any wider than a regular strat neck. I notice subtle differences - say in my fretting hands comfort with wrapping my thumb over the fretboard:
    - regular strat neck - I practically always have my thumb over
    - Charvel neck - I can wrap the thumb, but its not as prevalent
    - Jackson neck - I have to force the thumb over, and even then, I can't get the same effect.

In all - I would say a Jackson neck feels wider and thinner - but its not necessarily wider.

Hope that helps.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

own a ProMod. I've played a DK2M, but honestly not long enough to remember specifics of the neck. From memory, the DK2m felt like a traditional Jackson neck. Thin, wide, square shoulders (fretboard edges). From the Jacksons I've played and owned, they shared a typical wide-square feel.

The Charvel neck, while the same width, has a chunkier back feel - it fills the hang more. And has very rounded, rolled fretboard edges. This contributes, to me, to a broken in strat neck feel. In the hand, it doesn't feel any wider than a regular strat neck. I notice subtle differences - say in my fretting hands comfort with wrapping my thumb over the fretboard:
      - Jackson neck - I have to force the thumb over, and even then, I can't get the same effect.

In all - I would say a Jackson neck feels wider and thinner - but its not necessarily wider.

Hope that helps.
      +1
      My two favorite necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I own a ProMod. I've played a DK2M, but honestly not long enough to remember specifics of the neck. From memory, the DK2m felt like a traditional Jackson neck. Thin, wide, square shoulders (fretboard edges). From the Jacksons I've played and owned, they shared a typical wide-square feel.

Hope that helps.
        Agreed. This is a good description of the two.

Comment

I've got both necks, and GT hit it right. The Jackson fretboard edge is sharper than the Charvel - not as beveled/rounded/smoothed over as the Charvel. This presents the illusion that the fretboard is wider (and to be honest, it's a hair wider simply due to the fact that it does have a hair more wood, what with not being rolled).

Just as a 24 3/4" scale makes a neck feel more narrow than a 25 1/2" scale neck.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

These descriptions are dead on.
            I never realized how important the rolled edge really is untill owning these new charvels.
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
            X